Inaugural Smoke Day

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I just got my WSM right before last year's Smoke Day, so this was the first in which I got to participate.

Friday night, I prepped two 9# butts:

Got them on the cooker about 9:30 PM:

Once they were on, I trimmed some spares to SLC and salted them up for a cook on Saturday afternoon:

Here are the butts at about 8:00 AM Saturday:

And one of them after pulling 'em of around 3:00 PM Saturday. Never foiled and other than taking that pic at 8:00, never removed the lid. After removing, I wrapped them both in foil for a few hours rest before being vacuum-packed and frozen for future use:

Here are the spares, slathered with spicy brown mustard and a healthy dose of Memphis Dust:

And the WSM loaded up with the spares on the bottom and the trimmings on the top. It was a right fit to get them all on there. I think in the future, I'm just going to pay a bit more for the SLC-trimmed ribs. Yeah, I'm getting lazy.

Finally, one of the racks that came off, also frozen for future use (next weekend):

OH, and then there was Smoke Day, Episode 2: The In-Laws Strike Back. My MIL's b-day always falls near Memorial Day, so we always host a cookout for the event. My soon-to-be-9-year-old wants to learn to grill, so I started by teaching him how to set up the smoker for some ribs. Tin-can minion method:

This time, I froze the trimmings raw for future use and just put the SLCs in the WSM, three half-racks to each grate. I prepped them the same way: spicy brown mustard followed by Memphis Dust. But this time I spritzed every 45 minutes with apple juice. They cooked for 4.5 hours at 225, never foiled, never sauced. Perhaps the best ribs I've ever made. Here's a pic from about the 3-hour mark, unfortunately things were too hectic at dinner time to get any cut/plated picks:

Wow Chad that's some cooks you did, you're going to have to send your smoker out for a well deserved vacation :)

Some great cooks, love the bark on that one butt - congrats on the future pit-master you got going on

I also did about 10 pounds of boneless/skinless breasts & thighs on the OTG to go with the ribs, but did them Roadside-style. Most of the guests had never heard of RSC, but every one of them asked for the recipe.

But, yeah, aside from cleaning them up real good, both of the Webers are getting the day off. We'll be having leftover RSC for dinner. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), there were no ribs left over. I think they may have been the best spare ribs I've ever made and the brown mustard/Memphis Dust/apple juice spritz will be my go-to method from now on.

Now that's an inauguration. Great looking cooks there Chad. I'm with you on the trimming of the ribs. I just buy them trimmed to SLR's.

Chad outstanding cook love the ribs cooked that way. I told Rich I wanted ribs like that for my BD next month.
That's a great helper you have, never to late to start showing them how to cook.

Back