Slow and Sear accessory for Weber kettle

JGault

I am a member over at amazingribs.com Pitmaster club and some guys there have come up with a GREAT invention for the Weber kettle. It is called the Slow and Sear (SnS). It creates a nice two zone setup to turn you kettle into a top notch smoker. The ingenious part of it is that the top is open, allowing you to use the side with the charcoal as a super hot sear zone. I do all of my steaks using the reverse sear technique i.e. low and slow at 225 until the IT gets to 125 and then blast the meat with high heat to form a delicious crust. I have had a Smokenator for years and liked it but when I did the reverse sear, I had to move the meat to another kettle set up with fire bricks to raise the coal grate to get the super high temps I was looking for. With the SnS, I can seamlessly do my reverse sear in one spot. I also like the built in water pan much better than the tiny one that comes with the SN. The water pan is between the charcoal and the indirect side and creates a nice buffer. The best part of the SnS to me is the length of how long the original charcoal lasts. With the SN, you have to knock the ash off every hour and add water at least every other hour. The SnS can go a minimum of 8 hours without a reload of fuel.

I haven't ordered one yet, but will be getting one very soon I am told (Fathers Day cough cough) as production is just now getting started.

He is the link to the product: http://www.abcbarbecue.com/ There are some great videos of the SnS to peruse

They are trying to hit an $80 price point. Impressive considering it is 5 lbs. of 304 grade stainless steel.

Can't wait to use a SnS when I compete.

To be more clear, it fits a multitude of kettles, not just Weber's. I have six Weber's, so I was focused on what I have.

Well I've used one for 2 months now and It does what it says it does. I can get 225 for 11 hours out of one chimney of charcoal and refill the water at around 5 hours, true set it and walk away, I've used the snake method the bank and every other method for me this works the best.

The 'some guy' is actually the forum administrator and one of the moderators.

On the front page of Amazing Ribs it tells you that since they don't sell anything, their reviews are non-biased. Although there's a grey area there, add to it that some of the people there are paid employees and I see the two of these to be in conflict and a bit disingenuous.

The OP is too slick for me.

By saying he is just "a member" over at that other forum, but failing to mention that he is also the administrator and a moderator there too, is more than "disengenuous."

It's like telling someone you live in work in Washington, D.C. without mentioning you live in a big white house and your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

I don't know that the OP is either of those. The guys who invented and market the Slow-N-Sear are who I am referring to.

By saying he is just "a member" over at that other forum, but failing to mention that he is also the administrator and a moderator there too, is more than "disengenuous."

It's like telling someone you live in work in Washington, D.C. without mentioning you live in a big white house and your address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Sorry, I misinterpreted.

The idea is the same.

The OP should have disclosed that the "guys" who invented the gizmo play MAJOR roles in running that forum. He should have identified them by name and should have spelled out their connection to that forum at the beginning of the post.

I

I bet the OP is the same person who was/is promoting the heck out of this over on WKC.

Anyway since I have the Smokenator and a pair of fire bricks, I see no need to buy this.

Dude, I am "just a member" at the Pit. I have zero connection to the SnS company, not sure how you inferred that.

The owners of the Adrenaline BBQ Co. are indeed mods there

Doesn't take away from the SnS being a great product

T

Doesn't take away from the SnS being a great product

Totally agree as last month I bought their heavy stainless steel "Slow N Sear Plus" and "Drip N Griddle" for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Kettle which made me one-happy ABC Barbecue Customer down here in Central America.

Also, my Costa Rican Neighbor was also really impressed with my new BBQ Toys whom I gave my old skinny "Smokenator" that I purchased a few years back in which I have no complaints and also served me well.

I decided to pull-the-trigger on the "Slow N Sear Plus" because i can use it for "Low N Slow" cooking with Reverse Sear capability on my relatively new Weber Mastertouch Kettle.

Last edited:
I too own both the Slow N Sear and the Drip N Griddle from Adrenaline BBQ Co and consider it one of the best accessories for my Weber kettle that I have ever purchased. I don't use it for low n slow because I have smokers for that but I do use it for Reverse searing and it works fantastic. Easy to keep a low temp to bring the steaks up and then add a few coals and its perfect for doing the sear.

Back