Smoke Day Babybacks

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
First of all, a remembrance of all those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice for our Country! Happy Smoke Day everyone! Decided to take another day off and do some Ribs on my WSM for Smoke Day. Did the Ancho Cherry version again for the occasion. Sided with my wife's potato salad, Weber's Cajun Corn and some garlic bread.

Picked up the ribs at Costco. They sell three packs. Decided to do two racks of the Ancho Cherry, and the third rack just using a dry rub.

Rubbed down two racks with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and the third rack with Weber's recipe for Dry Ribs. Used coffee grinder to grind the spices.

Made the Ancho Cherry Sauce. Here are the ingredients.

Put all the ingredients in a pan and brought to a boil. Reduced heat and simmered for about 20 minutes. Placed everything in the food processor and made a nice sauce. Back on the heat for another 5 minutes or so to thicken. Set aside until later.

Here's the Weber Rub all ready to go.

On the WSM at a steady 225. Used Cherry Wood for smoke. Dry ribs on bottom rack.

Made the Cajun Butter and prepped the corn.

After 3 hours took a peek.

Continued...

Last edited:
Foiled the ribs after basting with the Ancho Cherry Sauce, brown sugar, more Cherry Rub and finally some honey.

After an hour in the foil, removed ribs and applied more sauce. Back on WSM for about 45 more minutes.

Got the corn on some direct heat for about 25 minutes, turning several times.

Done.

Resting.

Extremely moist and tender. Modest smoke ring. Was a little disappointed in that.

Slice up the bread.

Last edited:
Plated.

Well, that's it. Happy Smoke Day and Memorial Day. Hope you all have a great weekend. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Cliff, outstanding ribs and the finish plate is right on. Great job and have a super Memorial Day.

Spectacular!!! Ribs are my favorite, I'm going to try foiling them that way next time. I like their saucy, sticky, and moist appearance.

I'm off to Costco in the mor img to pick up some baby backs in the morning! (I hope Costco in Scotland have them haha)

I'll be cooking them on the weber kettle and hope I can do them as good as this looks!

They look delicious. Sometimes the flavor is right there without much of a smoke ring, but that's just window dressing anyway.

Those are some fine look ribs and the corn is crazy good. Gonna look into making that Cajun Butter as White Corn Season is almost here. Nice cook Cliff, as always

Back