Estate Sale find, how old???

Scott Zee

TVWBB Fan
I picked the up this super clean 18.5 today at an estate sale. Just a little dusty from being in the basement for the last 25+ years. I'm confused as to what yr it is because none of the vents are engraved. Check out the pictures. Hopefully someone here can enlighten me.

Water bowl

Lid vent

Handle

Lid

One of bottom vents

These were tucked inside

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Last edited:
Probably pre 1979 when they started putting date codes on vents. Great find, especially with the original wooden handle. Door is different than I have seen.

Note that Weber grills manufactured prior to 1979 do not have date codes. The age of these grills can be estimated by certain characteristics of the grill itself, including handle material (metal vs. wood), patent numbers on the lid vent damper, and the wheel/triangular base design
You have a wood handle and your holes are square (under the vent) not a lot of discussion for square holed WSM's. You might have one of but a few

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage.html#nocode

ChuckO, the holes aren't square. They are teardrop shaped just like the ones on my "C" code. Todd I'm gonna give it a good cleaning before I give her a go.

The main difference that I see are the door is different (smooth) and the vents are smooth as well. All the older WSM's have 3 bubble type lines on the vents between the holes.

Last edited:
Looks like a steel door. What about the legs? Are they steel?

Can't be an "A" or "B" because it has a single screw handle. (They didn't make an "A" WSM, and only one "B" WSM that we know of, and it has a two rivet handle)

Can't be a "C" or "D" because the handle is incorrect (It has the two lines on the left side of the handle. "C" and "D" wouldn't have the lines).

So, if it has steel legs and door, the oldest it could possibly be is an "E".

Only my "B" and "C" have the bubbled vents.

Great score BTW. Always good to see the classics wind up at home with a grillfella.

Only my "B" and "C" have the bubbled vents.
If by bubbled vents you mean the teardrop shape, my ER '96 WSM has those, so I don't think that's so unusual. Maybe I misunderstand your point about the teardrop design.

img_4567-450_zps63tjd7ni.jpg

The door is definitely steel given the smooth surface. The smooth vent is intriguing...cool find! :wsm22:

P.S. That's a nice old rib rack. They don't make 'em like that anymore. :)

Chris, I have 4 of those rib racks. I have had one for quite a few years. I found 2 tucked inside my "C" and one more inside this beauty.

Back