Before, During and After: Weber Genesis Silver B

THyde

TVWBB Guru
Hello, my name is Tim, and here is a new-to-me Weber Genesis Silver B, before any serious restoration. So far, I've replaced the burners and ignitor assembly, with lots of new parts on order to see how close to new condition I can get this bad boy:

001.jpg

That's an impressive rag, isn't it?

002.jpg

I have that bolt in a box of "grill parts" that I just started.

003.jpg

That rag is photobombing me!

004.jpg

Grates in great condition; previous owner replaced them last year and "doesn't do a whole lot of grilling" ..

005.jpg

Flavorizers look to be somewhat used stainless steel; no need to replace them now. Maybe in a year or two. Damn rag!

006.jpg

New SS burners and igniter assembly installed. Pretty much what you can pick up at the hardware store is in, stuff you need to order is, well, on order. RAG!!!

007.jpg

Rust. It's metal cancer!

008.jpg

More rust. It's metastatic!!!!

The plan is to rebuild this bad boy from the ground up. I'll do my best to post the progress here.

Have fun!

Tim

I refurb one just like it except black lid. Just take your time and it will be better than you can buy today. Be sure to use Rustoleum high heat ULTRA ....easy to work with and more shine ..... Keep the pictures coming.

Last edited:
Thanks Glen, some parts came yesterday, and the first real challenge is going to be removing a broken bolt underneath where the pan rails are ... but this is going to be a fun project!

Hi THyde,
I had the same problem on my gasser when I started restoring it, I had enough of the broken bolts sticking out that I was able to grab them with pair of locking pliers and gently unscrew them out while I heated the boss they were in and got them all out, I put "never seize" on the new bolt threads so I didn't have that problem again. Good luck with your restoration, you'll find lots of people ready to help you here.

Thanks Ed.

I have the grill disassembled now (pictures soon) and there are a total of two broken bolts in the cookbox and I'm turning a nut inside the plastic piece on the left hand side.

I have new left and right table rails ordered, so I'm going to fillet the rail that the plastic is stuck in and then evaluate options from there. I'm hoping to be able to save that plastic piece, but may have to order a new piece.

As far as the broken bolts, I'm going to take the bottom part of the cookbox into the garage and begin some PB Blaster treatments. The plan is to drill small holes in the center of each broken bolt shaft and then using PB, a torch and some easy-outs, try to get them out.

Worst case scenario I drill the bolts out, but I'd rather get the threads out.

I'll take and post some pictures later for anyone's benefit who may be in a similar spot.

Slainte!

Tim

Tim, it sounds like you are doing it smart. These are great grills to rehab and we come out with grills that will last us for many years to come. This is a great place to get help and to help others. That grill will look better than new when you are done. Good luck!!!

Bob, right-o!

I tend to get very into particular projects ... and this one has taken over!

Looking at the new Weber grills, it seems to me that a rehabbed Genesis Silver is as good as if not better than the new grills.

Plus, there's that whole thing where you get all the gratification from a project like this!

I'm supposed to be off work today, but I'm stuck in a darn conference call while my lower pan is soaking in hot water!

Most everything on these models seems to scrub off pretty nicely ...

good luck on the rebuild the cookbox and lid definitely outlast the cart assembly. Let me know how you do with the left side of the cookbox where the bolt goes through cart into the cookbox that is where I had the most trouble and kind of rigged it because I couldn't get that bolt from weber or find a good SS one to replace it.

Great job. I just cleaned up my 2000 Blue Genny after a couple of years of neglect. Nothing beats these old gassers. Find yourself some CI grates, best upgrade ever for these ladies.

Genny_zpsrl5fhr38.jpg

Last edited:
The bolt on the left side is annihilated. It rusted pretty securely to the cookbox. Of course, the head snapped right off.

Progress today was that I totally disassembled the unit, scrubbed everything down, and was able to drill out one bolt that had broken in the tray rail area. So now the bottom tray is scrubbed and reinstalled on new tray rails.

The grill is back together now because it's Memorial Day weekend, and I intend to grill pretty much all weekend!

The new cart rails are supposed to come in Thursday, so I'll hold off on working on that cookbox-to-rail bolt until the new cart rails arrive.

I did screw up the thermite piece that sits on the left side (dropped it while cleaning it and took a bite out of a corner) but probably the best course of action is to source a used one from somewhere, perhaps even this very site!

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

GGross: How did you rig that bolt? I'm probably going to drill out the one that's in there and go with a long ss bolt and a nut. Also, the bolts that hold the manifold on are totally rusted into the cookbox too. The heads broke off of them on the inside, but since they are rusted in place, I've left them in for now to hold the manifold until I get to serious work on the cookbox. They may punch out with a hammer, but again I'm not messing with them anymore until more parts arrive.

Kevin: NICE GRILL!!!!! Forgive my naivete, but what are the advantages of cast iron over stainless steel cooking grates?

Kevin: NICE GRILL!!!!! Forgive my naivete, but what are the advantages of cast iron over stainless steel cooking grates?

Well...#1, they will last forever, #2 they take a litte longer to heat up but hold the heat much better and give some really nice grill marks. I'm sure there are other advantages but I just like cooking on CI...:redgenesis1:

Here are some pictures from today, with descriptions below each picture.

002_1.jpg

Stripped down to the cart.

001_1.jpg

This bolt just turns. The nut inside must be loose, but I can't figure any other way to replace the cart rails than to split this open, get that plastic part out, and re-evaluate at that time.

004_1.jpg

005_1.jpg

006_1.jpg

These are the rusted areas on the cart, and the reason I've ordered new left and right sides for the top of the cart. They'll get here next Thursday.

009.jpg

This pan scrubbed out really nice. No need to repaint or replace this; it's fine.

012.jpg

Not sure if you can see it, but the button was all messed up. So, I replaced it, along with the knobs. What the heck! Cosmetic surgery.

013.jpg

Ta-da! New button, new knobs.

When the rails come in next Thursday, I'll rip it apart again, but again I want this grill working for this long weekend.

In fact, I may head out to get some meats and things to grill right now!

Slainte!

Tim

Some yums:

015.jpg

Cooking ....

014.jpg

More cooking ... smoke = yum.

016.jpg

This was consumed in one-one hundredth the time it took to cook.

Slainte!

The bolt on the left side is annihilated. It rusted pretty securely to the cookbox. Of course, the head snapped right off.

GGross: How did you rig that bolt? I'm probably going to drill out the one that's in there and go with a long ss bolt and a nut. Also, the bolts that hold the manifold on are totally rusted into the cookbox too. The heads broke off of them on the inside, but since they are rusted in place, I've left them in for now to hold the manifold until I get to serious work on the cookbox. They may punch out with a hammer, but again I'm not messing with them anymore until more parts arrive.

On the left side bolt I went to Lowe's and got several different screws, bolts, washers and nuts all stainless steel. I ended using a lesser diameter bolt/screw then the original and because the rusted out steel frame basically bolted the screw to the remaining steel frame with washer and nuts and then used doubled nuts inside the cookbox.

Here's the best I could do to draw it up from left to right screw head, washer, steel frame, washer, nut that secured the screw. Then inside the cookbox I secured with 2 nuts.

GGross, thank you, excellent idea.

LMichaels, another good idea, thank you.

I'm seeing a trend here: use stainless steel!

Anthony, wow! That's a beaut! Seems to be garage-kept too!

Did you get the rest of the broken bolt out T? Had the same trouble, but some of the bolt stuck out inside the cookbox an I was able to grab it with some V grips, and work it back and forth while I hit the box area with a touch. Took a few wiggles then was able to get it out. Saved me the drill wich I hate to do close to aluminum, incase of wander.

Back