Gas grill decision, Help.

Franky C

I have an old weber spirit that is finally just falling apart, so i'm in the market for a new gas grill. I was looking at the spirit 310 at Home Depot, this one comes with the gourmet bbq system, but from what I can see in order for them to offer it at the same price as the regular spirit over at Lowes, they don't put a door on the front. Instead of the door where the LP tank goes it has what looks like a cheap plastic panel that just pops into place.

After seeing this I really started second guessing my decision to buy this one. Then I started thinking should I scrap the idea of the spirit line and step up to the genesis line? What are the real benefits of the genesis line over the spirit?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Is it the size difference that makes for the higher price tag, or is the build quality better on the genesis? I do see they both have the same warranty.

I recently took back a Spirit 310 and got a Genesis ep330.

This is what I've noticed. The Spirit had a hot spot along the entire back wall due to the integrated burner design, which the Genesis doesn't have. The Genesis heats up more quickly and will hit the 700s; the Spirit would hit 600 after 15 minutes and rarely higher. The warmer rack on the Genesis has a bar along the back to keep items from rolling off of it; the Spirit doesn't which is annoying to deal with and extremely cheap on Weber's part. You can tell that the welded cart on the Genesis cost much more to make, than the stamped sheet metal of the Spirit. I cook for 4 normally and on occasions 8. Regardless, I do find the Genesis works better when I'm cooking meat and multiple sides for 4, even though it isn't that much bigger I can fit everything without as much cramming stuff in the grill. The side tables on the Genesis are larger too. There are other things like the handles, the drip pan holders, and the ignitors that contribute to the higher cost and quality of the Genesis.

With all of that said, if I were only cooking for two I would've kept the Spirit and bought a WSM with the difference. However, I love the Genesis and am glad I returned the Spirit. The Genesis is near perfect to me.

Another difference occured to me this morning. The Spirit has control stops at full and half, while the Genesis only has one stop at full. I thought it was weird considering the Genesis is the higher model.

Thanks, Chuck and Eric.

My wife and I took a ride to our local Weber dealer this morning, and came home with a Genesis 330 in copper.

My wife and I took a ride to our local Weber dealer this morning, and came home with a Genesis 330 in copper.
That's the BBQ I wanted, but instead of taking my wife, she went out to buy me a BBQ for my birthday a few back. She came home with a "Q" :(

Congrats on your BBQ, lets see some cooks on that bad boy

Thanks, Chuck and Eric.

You took your wife to the Weber dealer, and came home with an Genesis 330? Good trade - just kidding.:D

When we were talking about it I mentioned it was available in a few different colors. She came so she could approve the color.

17714650759_2631975248_z.jpg
[/url]grill by jafo326, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice choice I had mine for over 7 years and it still cooks like new, only thing I have had to buy is a new cover.
Enjoy a life long family member, many great meals to come.

Nice choice I had mine for over 7 years and it still cooks like new, only thing I have had to buy is a new cover.
Enjoy a life long family member, many great meals to come.

I had to buy a new cover for my 330 after a few years. The original Weber cover didn't last very long. I replaced it with a Veranda brand, which is much tougher, better quality and less expensive than the Weber cover.

Congratulations!
As to one of your original questions, the Spirit line is made in China while the Genesis line is still made in the USA.

Back