Weber Blackhead Rehab HELP!!!!!!!

JMBarnett

Hello and thank you for your time. I moved into a house in ann arbor and found this weber in the garage my landlord said i could have. i've only owned one gas grill in my entire life and it doesnt compare at all to a weber. i really have no idea where to begin on making this thing sweet but i know i am in the right place to figure it out. im talking to you DAVEW...the exterior seems to be in pretty good shape but what should i do? thanks, everyone, for your time and i look forward to your input and advice.

ps - i call it a blackhead because i think its funny, but is there a better name for it?

IMG_3997_zpsn7vrxa8z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3989_zps2skivlyz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3991_zpsf2pelz3i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3992_zpslf8wrjl2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

95999fa5-c339-4f7c-9d61-febe424106c1_zpsblpmikfo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3996_zps891gdbfo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

also, i found this weber genesis gold on CL for $150 that looks to be in great shape with two propane tanks. is that a good deal? should i even worry about the blackhead or just get this one? thanks again, everyone!

1_zpskf9jyljj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3_zpsxl2bb2wu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

top_zpslwnfjr4t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

burner_zpskm33tshu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
i would keep the black head and work on it as you have time it really is a clean up repaint and a few parts you can then flip it to off set the price of the other grill that you should buy and offer a bit less.
Seems you got one for free might as well flip it or clean it up for a gift to a family member or good freind.

No contest, I'd buy the gold for $150 if it was anywhere near me. It looks like you will need new flavorizers and grates for your Silver A, and even after that expense, you will still only have two burners and no side burner.

Yep - the Gold is a better deal overall because you don't need new grates. With the tank from the Silver you would never run out of propane either. It looks to be in excellent condition, and the same cannot be said for the Blackhead. If the Gold isn't far away, go look at it and see how the inside of the cookbox looks. If the flavorizers aren't rusted through (they will be surface rusty), and it lights correctly I would buy that.

thanks, guys, it's settled. the gold is in the same town i live so i'm definitely having a look at it. according to the seller it starts up and works perfectly and comes with a full tank of propane. maybe once i get it i will post some more pics and see if anyone has some advice on how to improve it...if necessary.

thanks, guys, it's settled. the gold is in the same town i live so i'm definitely having a look at it. according to the seller it starts up and works perfectly and comes with a full tank of propane. maybe once i get it i will post some more pics and see if anyone has some advice on how to improve it...if necessary.

Good choice you'll be much happier with the gold, restoring it will give a grill you can keep forever, not so much with the silver.

Grab the Gold. The Silver you can use for parts. You could use the silver frame to make a nice side table as Rich has done.

"Gold!,Gold!, Gold!"

Last edited:
Yep yep, great advice all around. Would definitely go with the Gold C if it's in as good a condition as the pictures show. Be sure to check the frame carefully for rust. Look and see if the burners and flavorizers are solid or rusting out. At $150, you still have some headroom to replace a few things if needed. Just watch and keep track of what the added costs will be.

WRT the Silver A, is that an extra set of grates on the left side table in the first pic or are those the same rusted grates in the other pics ? Is the frame solid and rust free ? Are the burners solid ?

BTW there are no parts from the Silver A that will fit the Gold. And BTW those little Silver A units are damn nice cooking units

im picking it up on thursday night and will take as many pictures as i can. from some research i found the owner is a professor at eastern michigan university which could mean nothing, but im hoping it means he is a fastidious person who takes good care of his things. i will definitely check the flavorizers but, to be honest, i have no idea where the burners are.

the silver A: the grates are the same, i had just removed them to get a good shot of the flavorizers and cook box (or whatever you call it.) the frame looks to be very solid with no rust but once again i have no idea where the burners are!

im picking it up on thursday night and will take as many pictures as i can. from some research i found the owner is a professor at eastern michigan university which could mean nothing, but im hoping it means he is a fastidious person who takes good care of his things. i will definitely check the flavorizers but, to be honest, i have no idea where the burners are.

the silver A: the grates are the same, i had just removed them to get a good shot of the flavorizers and cook box (or whatever you call it.) the frame looks to be very solid with no rust but once again i have no idea where the burners are!

Look at the pics of your Silver A. See the two round tubes running left to right ? One at the front of the firebox and one at the back ? Those are the burner tubes.

When you go to look at the Silver C, pull the grates up to expose the flavorizer bars and see what condition those are in. Then, pull each of the flavorizer bars out and you should see 3 burner tubes running left to right. One in the front, one in the middle and one at the back of the cook box. On the left hand side, there should be a little tube running from the front burner to the back one, crossing over the middle burner. It's appropriately named the "cross over tube".

The first thing you want to check for on the tubes is whether or not they are solid. They will undoubtedly appear to have some corrosion, that's natural. Just make sure they are solid and not rusted through. Look closely at the little holes the run the length of each tube and make sure the tubes haven't split along these holes. Ideally, you'd want to light the grill up and take a look at the burn pattern on the tubes. Check for even burning all the way across the length of the tube.

excellent advice. can i take the grate and flavorizers out and start it up without blowing my head off or singing my eyebrows?

excellent advice. can i take the grate and flavorizers out and start it up without blowing my head off or singing my eyebrows?

Yeah. remove everything, turn the front burner knob on and push the igniter a couple of times. If it doesn't light, turn the gas off and give it a minute or two to let the gas dissipate. Then try to light the burner with a stick lighter or long match.

you guys are amazing. thanks again for all your help and not making me seem like such a dumbass! hahah...posting pics of the SILVER SURFER soon. thats the new name...either that or GOLDUST.

picked her up last night. really happy with the condition, its in amazing shape. burners work perfectly. came with two tanks and one is nearly full. also realized the silver in the garage had a nearly fully tank as well. any suggestions you guys have? what should i do with the silver? if i make a kickass table like that one dude, how should i dispose of the rest? what parts should i keep?

ive decided that calling it silver surfer just because it has a stainless steel lid is kinda confusing considering its a genesis cold. goldust is cool because of the sexually ambiguous wrestler who was awesome, but i dont want to name it after that. so with referring to the lids as "heads" in mind, i will name this bad boy "METAL HEAD." a thread needs to be started about the names we give our grills. thanks again for all your help

[URL=http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/joshuambarnett/media/Grill%20Rehab/F9AC5747-B96D-4037-B472-33F6E9582097_zps3ecwefyd.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s1065.photobucket.com/user/joshuambarnett/media/Grill%20Rehab/C074C82F-2AE9-4DD5-B5A8-31D7F1FCD525_zpsys2wbbyx.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u381/joshuambarnett/Grill%20Rehab/C074C82F-2AE9-4DD5-B5A8-31D7F1FCD525_zpsys2wbbyx.jpg[/URL]

VERY NICE! Clean her out a bit and put in a disposable foil drip tray to protect the aluminum drip pan (available wherever Weber products are sold). Consider a new igniter cover or whatever they call it.

I would love to have that baby over at my place!

VERY NICE! Clean her out a bit and put in a disposable foil drip tray to protect the aluminum drip pan (available wherever Weber products are sold). Consider a new igniter cover or whatever they call it.

I would love to have that baby over at my place!

Yep yep. Burners, flavorizers and grate all appear to be solid and have a few more years left in them. Frame seems to be fine as well. Basically, just clean her up, put in a new gas collector box and she's good to go. $10 plus some elbow grease.

JM, the level of restore/rehab is completely up to you. If you wanted, you could get an angle grinder and take the inside of the firebox down to bare aluminum. All that black stuff will come off and it will be nice and shiny. Afterwards, spray it with some PAM and fire the grill up to reseason the firebox.

Or, you could spray it down with a strong cleaner like Industrial Purple/Orange or something similar and try to get some of it off with a little bit of sanding or scraping. Most I would do on the end caps is give them a good cleaning and then maybe mask things off and hit them with some high heat paint.

Heck, if you want, just leave it like it is and start using it.

Last edited:
you guys are amazing. thanks again for all your help. here is a picture of my first cook. a big honkin burger with all the trimmings and a special sauce. also used a mixture of gouda, cheddar, fontina cheese and mayo for a topping. for a side i bacon wrapped some green beans!

IMG_4024_zpsb6ns6e5o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back