Brought a Weber grill off CL to refurbish now I'm not so sure it's needed

Joe_Sun

Howdy all! Been lurking on here reading about picking up an older Weber grill on CL to refurbish and decided to join today after my purchase.

Yesterday afternoon I found a grill advertised on CL just listed as a Weber Grill in good condition for $85.00. It was more than I wanted to spend but I had been having trouble finding a used Weber and since my old cheap grill is mostly dead I decided to take the 30 min drive to check it out. I get there and this is what I found, I think it’s a Weber Genesis Silver B model, the only thing obviously broken on it was a wheel, It came with a cover and a propane tank and the owner said he had just replaced the flavorizer bars with stainless steel ones so I’m now starting to think 85.00 is a pretty screaming deal. I paid and brought it home, by the time I get back it’s getting dark so I just cover it up and leave it overnight.

Today I ran up to the hardware store and bought a replacement wheel and then started to take the grill apart to see what else needed to be replaced. Well.. Now I’m not so sure about actually refurbishing it. Maybe paint the end caps which have some flaking paint but I’m thinking it’s in great shape, what do you think? Just clean it and leave it be? Also do those look like SS flavorizer bars to you? They kind of look like just the regular ones to me but regardless they are newish. What do you think about the condition of the grates?

Thanks! Here's some pics!

IMG_20150510_111439307_zps7qdunal4.jpg

IMG_20150510_111507706_HDR_zpspdendeim.jpg

IMG_20150510_111528603_HDR_zps7s4ifuu1.jpg

IMG_20150510_095708980_zpsixdff5w4.jpg

IMG_20150510_095724286_zpspbxbx6rd.jpg

IMG_20150510_095757378_zpsabcl4pvh.jpg

I think you totally scored !! Be sure to check the entire frame for any rust. Pull up the side table on the left and the control panel on the right and check there for rust as well. Better to find it early and deal with it than to wait until it is rusted through. The grates appear to have quite a bit of life left in them. The burners look to be nice and solid. Flavorizers do appear to be stainless, but pic might be a bit deceiving. If your igniter works, I wouldn't worry about the rusted out gas collector box. IF/when you do replace that, it's $10 at the most. FWIW, I'd clean up the end caps, mask off the top of the lid and hit the caps with some spray paint.

That does look like a nice find!

The flavorizer bars are probably stainless, mine lost their shine after a couple dozen cooks.

I replaced my grates immediately wth the 7526 PCI grates, not that they needed it.

If it doesn't start regularly, I got the 7509 igniter kit.

Thanks for the replies guys, it fired up after 3 clicks when I tested it so we'll see how well it does next time before I replace the igniter. I'm leaving today for a business trip back east and won't be back for a week so nothing else will happen until next week at the earliest but I'll be back.

Looks to be in great shape. I would do a good clean up and see how it works then go after what you want to fix up and enjoy it. Those are great grills and with a little TLC they will last forever.

Looks good to me also, just clean it up. My igniter was acting that way and all it needed was the connection where the wires plug together got oxidized and needed cleaned. I think you got a very good deal.

So quick update and a new CL score!

Been back from New York for a week and was slammed at work, too busy thou as I was able to get the grill cleaned up. I scrubbed the crap out of it, shot the sides with some BBQ paint and it's good to go! I LOVE LOVE this grill, best grill I've ever owned. Oh one surprise bonus. After scrubbing on the grates it turns out there's stainless steel under the crud so for 85.00 I got the grill and stainless flavorizers and stainless grill.

Here's what it looks like cleaned up.

IMG_20150524_153036259_HDR_zps0aq8vius.jpg

Now my second CL Score

My Father in law has had it rough for the last half decade, lost his house and his business in the recession and recently we found out he has prostate cancer. He's completely strapped for cash. Well his nice grill went out, he bought a Home Depot special for 100.00 last year and it's already fallen apart. After my good luck with the Genesis Silver B I've been hunting on CL every day trying to find a grill that I can restore for him. Yesterday I found this one posted for $30.00 and bought it 20 min later.

IMG_20150523_152008524_HDR_zpsyepqvfof.jpg

It could still stand to be cleaned up a bit, the grates are on their last leg with some rust starting to peek out but everything else is good except the missing work table. He was telling me that he really wanted to BBQ for Memorial day so I showed him the grill and told him he could have it now or I could make it prettier, he said give it to me now I don't care what it looks like! lol My Brother in law is really good with wood and tile and he said he would make him a tile work spot. I ordered a new thermometer and a replacement wheel so I'm $50.00 into it.

Very nice. I don't see many that color for some reason. I bought mine new 11 years ago. Still cookin with all the original parts. And I dont even care for it the way I really should. These are AWSOME gasser so IMO. You will enjoy it for sure.:redgenesis1:

Yeah the maroon is pretty 90's reto rad. I used to have a bunch of maroon shirts back then :)

IMG_20150527_172318742_HDR_zps1qqcmpfi.jpg

That's what the 30.00 grill looks like today after I've been working on it. I thought the thermometer was bad so I replaced it but it turns out it was the regulator that was bad. So far I've got 30.00 for the grill, 25.00 for the regulator, 8.00 for the wheel and 12.00 for the extra thermometer. $75.00 and it works awesome now.

Before.

IMG_2267_zpskso3mxhq.jpg

Last edited:

Back