Pebble App: Something else to maintain why not?

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have a Pebble smartwatch and I think it is the bee's knees. How many times a day do your pants vibrate and you need to fish out your phone just to see if it is important. Or you miss a message that Ferris passed out at the 31 Flavors because you are numb from the waist down. Pebble is a notification beast that fits just right into my usage patterns and a week of battery life means I don't have to fuss about it.

I said I wouldn't do it, but I broke down and started a HeaterMeter Pebble app. It allows you to view all your temperatures of a single HeaterMeter and refreshes every 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending on your preference.

It should auto-discover a HeaterMeter on your network using the device registration from http://heatermeter.com/devices/ and automatically connect on install. However, you can also use the settings function from the main Pebble app to configure an external address to see it from anywhere. This is my first Pebble app but I've been running it for a week and I think it is fairly robust so I published it to the public app repository. Just search for HeaterMeter from the Pebble app and you'll be able to install it.

I have a couple of features in mind:
-- Set setpoint
-- Trigger lid mode

I don't think I'll do the graphing because it really isn't a notification type of thing, you'd have to be able to adjust the scale, and you have to scale it down to 144 pixels so I don't know how great it would be. You guys have great ideas though so I'd be happy to entertain them.

This is great! This will be perfect for my Pebble when my phone gets really heavy and I can't lift it out of my pocket.

Nice job. hoping my mini browser on my android wear watch will connect to the Web interface on the heatmeter

I have a Pebble smartwatch and I think it is the bee's knees.

Very cool! I have a Pebble that has been relegated to "shop watch" because I upgraded to the Motorola 360 as my daily watch but really love seeing who's calling if I'm working on something and don't want to run over to the phone to see who it is. I wish I would have checked this forum last night because I have a cook about 22 hours in right now on a pork butt and I could have played with it. Cool addition, Bryan. I'll certainly try it.

BTW, thanks again for HM. I can't imagine going back to life before HM and I'm still just getting started w/ my journey it feels like.

AWESOME!

I've got a Moto 360 as well, and I've thought about making an Android Wear app for my HeaterMeter. But then I look at how filthy I get while smoking and decided that I don't want to ruin my watch. :)

AWESOME!

I've got a Moto 360 as well, and I've thought about making an Android Wear app for my HeaterMeter. But then I look at how filthy I get while smoking and decided that I don't want to ruin my watch. :)

I can barely get through cooking steaks for dinner at 600 degrees with my 360 before the battery shuts down since it's already low by dinner time. An Android Wear app would be cool though.

Bryan, I did install the Pebble App last night and can report that it is working fine on my Pebble too. It was easy to do and I like that it stays persistent on the screen. I'll certainly be using that now along with all the other monitoring tools HM provides.

Awesome! I'm glad to have some feedback because it's had 40 installs but nobody has said if it actually worked at all yet. I'm still working on being about to change the setpoint/lid mode. For security reasons you can't control the cookies in the HTTP requests which makes it difficult to know if the login is actually working. I've been playing with some alternative methods but it may be ok for now to just assume you've got the right user/password in the configuration.

The iOS version is also coming soon. The code has to be submitted to Apple to approve which apparently takes a couple weeks then it is released to iOS pebble users.

@JayC Yup! I mostly use the pebble when I'm doing chores or working in the yard so I can look down and see if I'm missing something good. I really like the fact I can use it for a whole week and not have to recharge. I see today the Moto 360 is only $160, golly!

@JayC Yup! I mostly use the pebble when I'm doing chores or working in the yard so I can look down and see if I'm missing something good. I really like the fact I can use it for a whole week and not have to recharge. I see today the Moto 360 is only $160, golly!

Yep, the pebble will always be my first smart watch love just because of that. While I love my trophy smart watch, I'd wait for the next one if it was my $160. Rumor is that they had the processors laying around from a failed handset launch so they used the power hungry little monsters in the watch and I'm sure the 360 "2" won't have that problem (leaks are out about it already). The pebble is the perfect watch for HM for sure though with the long battery life and I won't be devastated if I scratch it up a bit while fiddling around with stuff in the shop (something I typically do when I'm doing a long smoke).

Just a quick note to say THANKS Bryan!
Someone shot me a link to HeaterMeter a week ago, I ordered the kit as quick as I could, Tom printed me a case, and I saw this thread last night and grabbed the app.
I LOVE my HeaterMeter, it works great! I love the iphone app,I love the pebble & the app, I love community - people helping people.

Getting back to the thread though - It worked fine for me 1st try (paired w/ios). I filled out my ip, user/passwd, and it came right up.

The app is AWESOME. I´m bbqing some pastrami right now and it works flawlessly. Hope you can implement alarm notifications via vibration.

Do I need to type in the https:// in the host name? When I am on my local net work the Pebble app works great using the OpenWrt address. When I try the port forwarding address that I use in a web browser the app just hangs on Loading. I am able to use the iPhone app to get back to my HeaterMeter from outside my local network. I must be missing something. Thanks for any help you can give me.

This is a bit of an oversight on my part maybe. It only works with http:// addresses, which should be omitted from the "host" field because it is added on by the fetcher. If you're using https to access it from outside your network it won't work. I'll see if I can get this to work in the next version. Hopefully there won't be a problem due to the self-signed certificate being blocked by the AJAX request.

Thank for the reply Bryan. I wonder sometimes how I ever manage to live just a few years ago without all the great gizmos I have now. I can say one thing with 100% faith. My HeaterMeter has changed my BBQ life forever.

I'm loving the pebble app, thanks Bryan! This is one of the main reasons I got a pebble watch in the first place. The first reason being to control my squeezebox networked music players (another fun open source project -- I'm actually working on plugin for the squeezebox that gives audible HM temperature status updates and plays random high and low alarm songs, like "The Heat Is On" by Glenn Frey or "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner).

Is there a way to change the set point from the pebble? On the pebble settings page you can enter your heatermeter username and password (supposedly for the purpose of changing the set point), but I don't think this is actually possible. Is this feature in the works? This and a lid open toggle could come in handy.

As far as temperature alarm notifications on your pebble, you can also do this using pushbullet alerts on the HM alarm settings page. Then you just need to open the Pebble App (on your phone) and under Notifications->"other apps (all apps)" check the box next to Pushbullet.

Back