My mini wsm build w photos

T. MERK

Hello everyone, finally got my mini built! I went ahead and bought the IMUSA 32qt steamer pot from walmart along with a 12" cake pan for the diffuser. I bought a weber 7431 cooking grate from amazon and I already owned a SJG. After seeing how the close the lid was to fitting the steamer, I decided to use my 4" grinder to shave down the aluminum.

I then peeled off the remaining aluminum

The edge was cleaned with a fiber disc on my 90 degree air grinder

I put red dye on the bottom and used a metal protractor to draw a 12" circle. The bottom of the pot had a nice center point right on it. I drilled a half inch hole and used a jig saw to cut the bottom out.

I measured 4" down for my first hole for the top rack. I eyeballed the center of the pot between the handles. Drilled a 3/16 hole and used some 3/16 aluminum rivets I had "laying" around

Measured roughly 14 1/4" to locate my next hole and again for the 3rd hole.

The new cooking grate sitting nicely on my rivets

Next, I cut some 1" aluminum angle I had laying around into 3, 1/2 pieces. Then riveted them underneath the rib in the pot to hold my cake pan diffuser.

All 3 pieces in place. I had to shave the ends off slightly to perfectly fit my diffuser.

will continue in my reply

Last edited:
Used a 1 1/4 cup saw to cut a hole in the side for my thermometer grommet. (I had an extra from my 18.5 WSM)

For my charcoal grate, I used a 34" x 3" piece of sheet metal. I drilled 1" holes in it.

Rolled it into a circle with a 1" overlap and tack welded it.

Finished product!

Thanks for looking!

Nice mini! Impressive charcoal ring! Thanks for the measurement (34" X 3") I'm gonna have to steal your idea :)

Nice build! I just ordered several of the grommets from Weber for the therms. Like your charcoal basket. May I suggest that you add some expanded metal to the bottom of it. I found that it really helps increase the efficiency by not letting larger pieces fall through. You get a more complete burn. I ran mine with out the expanded metal bottom for several years and couldn't believe the difference once I added it.

May I suggest that you add some expanded metal to the bottom of it. I found that it really helps increase the efficiency by not letting larger pieces fall through. You get a more complete burn. I ran mine with out the expanded metal bottom for several years and couldn't believe the difference once I added it.
I just lay another charcoal grate on top of my charcoal grate. One goes North to South, the other goes East to West - works pretty good if I don't say so myself (got the idea from your build) :wsm:

Nice build....I've had mine for awhile and I see some thins you did that I would like to do...love that charcoal grate.You are gonna love that thing !!

My charcoal ring is two charcoal grates (one running N/S other E/W) & a circle of expanded metal in a circle zip tied on. easy & good :wsm:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, thanks CaseT for the expanded metal tip. I will try it next week when I go camping. My first cook is some homemade sausage I had.
IMG_5885_zpsm89rciqn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6813_zpswj73ipih.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Killer sausages, Killer ribs!! You've done your mini proud! You're going to love that lil guy, it's the number one hit here at my place

Back