Hunsaker Smokers Vortex firebasket in the 22" WSM - Hot n' Fast in a Flash!

Brian Moriarty

TVWBB All-Star
I thought I would try the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket in my 22" WSM, since it has been working flawlessly in my Drum Smokers, and it did not let me down.

IMG_1505.jpg

For this cook, I used @ 7lbs of KBB (a chimney + 1/4) and fired it off Minion flamethrower, and used some Oak wine (Syrah) barrel chunks.

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

Set the heat deflector in place and it was off to the races!

IMG_1509.jpg

Assembled the bullet and had all vents open 100% until it reached 325* dome, then I shut 2 down completely and set a 5.5lb boneless Ribeye roast in a pan and the dome temp settled in at 335* with the front vent open 50%.

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

2 hours in and the bullet is running steady 335* dome, 360* top grate and 372* bottom grate. All with one vent open 50%! No waterpan, No door prop, no fan just the Vortex Firebasket!

IMG_0822.jpg

Roast is done, guests are late and a spiral sliced ham comes out of the oven to heat up on the lower grate (foiled in a pan-sorry no pics) to make room for a side dish.

The roast is @ 115-120* internal and it goes into a Cambro to rest, then it got a Reverse Sear on all sides.

IMG_1516.jpg

I made up a board dressing of EVOO, butter, pan drippings, fresh parsley, sage, rosemary, garlic and shallot, sliced the roast and dredged the meat in the mix.

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

I got the technique from Adam Perry Lang's "Charred & Scruffed" : Watch the video!! http://amazingribs.com/recipes/other_fun_sauces/board_sauces.html

and the Hunsker Smokers Vortex Firebasket: http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/vortex-fire-basket

Great cook!!!
so....regards the Hunsaker Vortex Firebasket: what exactly does it do for the WSM that is extraordinary?
Seems to me those temps can be achieved without it?
I'm not trying to jam you. I'm genuinely interested in the unit.
Would it fit a WSM 18.5 or 14.5?

Great cook!!!
so....regards the Hunsaker Vortex Firebasket: what exactly does it do for the WSM that is extraordinary?
Seems to me those temps can be achieved without it?
I'm not trying to jam you. I'm genuinely interested in the unit.
Would it fit a WSM 18.5 or 14.5?

For starters, it took @15 minutes from the time I fired it off to reach 325* with all 3 vents open 100%. I put the roast on and shut 2 vents completely and regulated the intake with the front facing vent at 50% and it cruised along at 335* dome the entire cook.

I didn't have to prop the door open or use a fan to stoke the cooker to reach those temps. It was effortless to get it hot and stay there.

For those that are turbo cooking or want to cook poultry on the big bullet, its just something I thought I'd share. I'm already using it in my BPS and Big Drum Smoker clones, and I'm always experimenting.
How many posts do I see about people struggling to get and keep the 22" hot? A lot! So I thought I'd give it a shot.

Currently the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex firebasket will not fit the 14" or 18" WSM, but Mark H has said he would be up for making some if there was an interest in them.

Back