Grill Care 17436 Stainless Steel Grate Compatible with Weber Charcoal Grills 22.5

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I got an email today from someone looking for stainless steel replacement grates for 22.5" kettles. Here's a link to a compatible grate sold on Amazon.

Grill Care 17436 Stainless Steel Grate Compatible with Weber Charcoal Grills, 22.5-Inch

• 4mm stainless steel hinged grid with 5 year warranty
  • Compatible with Weber 22.5" One-Touch, MasterTouch 22.5", Bar-B-Kettle, Performer
  • 22.5" diameter hinged grid
  • Heavier gauge than OEM specifications

Selling for $32.95 at the time of posting.

91Eno9G91XL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I bought two of them a few weeks ago.

I was amazed by the size of the box Amazon shipped them in. It was 22.5" x 13.5" x 36".

IMG_20150329_174818_172_zpso0qjj5yr.jpg

IMG_20150329_174828_353_zpswkan77ot.jpg

I have a couple questions in regards to these grates...

Are they honest to goodness SS grates? If so then this is a great deal and I'll definitely order a couple.

On the other hand if they are nothing more than nickel plated steel grates like the standard stock grates from Weber then this isn't that great a deal.

Though with the 5 year warranty maybe they are real SS grates?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Let's hope someone can clarify this who's actually purchased. Would be a shame if not true. Who's gonna be the first to take a grinder to one of the rods and see if it's plated or S/S through and through? :smilekettle:

Who's gonna be the first to take a grinder to one of the rods and see if it's plated or S/S through and through?
no need to go that far... simply take a MAGNET to the steel grate... if it sticks, it is NOT stainless.
If the magnet does NOT stick, you got the real deal!

Being in the alarm business, I have plenty of magnets. If someone is willing to fexex me one of these, I would be willing to sacrifice the next year and test these grates. Willing to make the sacrifice for the good of this wonderful group.:smilekettle:

Being in the alarm business, I have plenty of magnets. If someone is willing to fexex me one of these, I would be willing to sacrifice the next year and test these grates. Willing to make the sacrifice for the good of this wonderful group.:smilekettle:
I always thought you had a magnetic personality Bob. :rolleyes:

Judging from a couple answers in the questions section on Amazon regarding this grate, it appears that they may be nothing more than a slightly thicker version of the weber stock grates. If that's the case then I'll pass on these. No sense in overpaying for this one when you can get the weber grate in sale when Target has it's annual pre back to school clearance.

It says 4 mm SS which is about 5/32" or roughly 1/8" Thats close to the diameter of the Weber NP grate, but they claim it's a heavier gauge.
If Menards has one on the shelf I'll check it out.

Tim

I have both the Grill Care Stainless($29.99) and the original Weber Stainless 80728 grate($50.80). A refrigerator magnet does not stick. The Weber SS grate is thicker.

Grill Care also has a 18.5" version.

Weber VS Grill Care
IMG_20150406_173436_461_zpswvkn9dgh.jpg

Weber
IMG_20150406_173545_689_zpssrae0ltn.jpg

IMG_20150406_173626_056_zpst3njczd3.jpg

Grill Care
IMG_20150406_173534_386_zpseynv198c.jpg

IMG_20150406_173601_797_zpspknmq5li.jpg

Last edited:
I have both the Grill Care Stainless($29.99) and the original Weber Stainless 80728 grate($50.80). A refrigerator magnet does not stick. The Weber SS grate is thicker.

Grill Care also has a 18.5" version.

Weber VS Grill Care
IMG_20150406_173436_461_zpswvkn9dgh.jpg

Weber
IMG_20150406_173545_689_zpssrae0ltn.jpg

IMG_20150406_173626_056_zpst3njczd3.jpg

Grill Care
IMG_20150406_173534_386_zpseynv198c.jpg

IMG_20150406_173601_797_zpspknmq5li.jpg

So the magnet does not stick to the grill care one also? That's good to know.

Thanks for showing those comparisons. The grill care grate is a little thinner than the weber one. It's supposed to be thicker than the standard NP weber stock grate but probably not that much thicker.

Nice to know that grill care has an 18.5" version as well. I have a Jumbo Joe that I bought on clearance last fall from Target but haven't even opened the box yet and I got a hinged grate for it at the same time so don't need the SS one yet.

I went ahead and ordered one yesterday. Instead of the 3-5 weeks shipping time, Amazon was able to get it shipped today so it will arrive on Wed. I did use my Amex card so I guess that membership does have its privileges LOL.

This should be a good grate for heavy duty grilling on the Performer. My current grate will be relegated to the OTG that I've modified for smoking. Should last longer at those lower temps for the most part.

Well had to return the first one since one of the hinges was warped. As for the second one, the rod where the hinge attaches to one one side became detached immediately after I removed the plastic tie thing so this one is going back and this time I'm going for the refund. Turns out that a magnet does indeed stick to these and they ARE nickel plated. While they are a little thicker than the standard Weber grates no sense in paying an extra $10 for this. I'm sticking with the standard Weber grates from now on.

I was looking into this alternative to Weber's pricier 22" SS grate. Several poor reviews on Amazon for the Grill Care grate reflecting Brian's experience above made that decision an easy one.

Last year I looked at the same stuff and came away thinking my best option was to purchases the Weber gourmet BBQ system. The reason is that while it's still nickel plated, it's much thicker and heavier than the original. I have been using it for the past 6 months, so far so good.

Back