Knob setting and temperature.

Tom Kranda

Hi Guys, Anyone know of a table that establishes temp based on various combinations of knob settings for a Spirit 3 burner? For example what knob settings for a 350 degree box? Perhaps 1 burner set at 100% and a second at 25%, OR 2 set at 75% , etc. I know that ambient temp and how many zones you want off, for indirect cooking, will affect the table but perhaps someone has spent the afternoon and a few adult beverages trying to develop their own chart. I started one but figure this info must already exist somewhere. Any help? Thanks.

Excellent Question! All I know is when I used the rotisserie last night on a 3 pound chicken on my 2001 Genesis Silver C, I set all 3 knobs / burners on low, and it held @350 for an hour and 45 minutes to produce some of the best chicken I think I've ever made!

Although Weber now provides thermometers in the lid of all gas grills, they don't discuss temperature when describing grill operation. They talk about direct cooking (all burners on) and indirect cooking (1-2 burners on) and they use terms like cooking over direct high heat (all burners on HIGH) or direct medium heat or indirect medium heat, etc.

I've never seen the kind of chart you're thinking of, and I'm not sure it would be accurate given the variables of grilling (e.g. how much meat, grilling in cold weather, wind conditions, direct sun) and the variables of individual grills and grill models. You'll need to first determine what method you need--direct or indirect--and then play with the burners to achieve your goal.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. :blackgenesis: :)

I have the 2 burner Spirit, and like Chris said, every time I cook it's a bit different. I use my Spirit a lot for baking, and found the most important thing is to preheat the grill. Once it's at temp I add whatever I'm cooking and adjust. Once the food starts coming up in temp you will have to lower the heat. It's easier than it sounds, but you do have to pay attention to your grill. The Spirit is by far the best gas grill I've ever used for maintaining temperature.
I've baked bread, pies, mac and cheese, and the Spirit always impresses me.
Enjoy. :blackgenesis:

Back