Brisket 2015

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
it's been a while since I've done brisket, at least, one this size.
Yesterday before trimming

brisket1.jpg

After trimming

brisket2.jpg

yesterday wrapped and ready for this morning

brisket3.jpg

using Stubbs

stubbscharcoal1%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

meticulously stacked inside the 22" WSM charcoal ring

stubbscharcoal3.jpg

then, this early morning, going to season the beef with this ▼

brisketseasoning1.jpg

IMG_2357.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

using plenty of hickory

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

brisket on at 5:45AM

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

sun-up temp, 19°F

brisket4.jpg

so far, looks like a nice day for smoking...

brisket5.jpg

brisket7.jpg

more later.... Thanks for stoppin' by!

temps rose to 275 to 285...

brisket8.jpg

gonna wrap it I think...

brisket9.jpg

brisket10.jpg

...hope the temps drop some... have all three bottom vents closed.

This is going to be good! 19* ah that's a little chilly for me, so I'll just hang out here were it's going to be 80* today and watch the progress:cool:

temps rose to 275 to 285......hope the temps drop some... have all three bottom vents closed.
What was your starting temp? Gonna guess it was those hickory logs that caused the temp jump. Man I gotta get a 22

The pre-wrap was looking very goo!

Chucko, starting temp was 250... did not help I left the lid off while wrapping it with butcher paper....
speaking of which... the temps continued to climb to 325... even with the bottom vents closed completely...
I decided to take the wrap off, probe the brisket (I was getting a 203° reading thru the paper)...
take a direct temp with out the paper on (also added a small pan of water on the bottom cook grate.

brisket10a.jpg

the meat is averaging an internal temp of 200...

brisket12.jpg

I set the alarm at 205

brisket11.jpg

only 5 hours in.

Wow 325 with all the vents closed?? Got an air leak somewhere? This is why I like to use the water in the pan on those long cooks...course yours is turning out to be a much shorter cook. I'm sure it will be tasty all the same Jim.

Thank you Morgan :)
How your weather up there?

think my new signature line will be:
Brisket: the reason I smoke pork ribs every weekend.

Thank you Morgan :)
How your weather up there?

think my new signature line will be:
Brisket: the reason I smoke pork ribs every weekend.

Your funny Jim!! My weather is perfect....34 and partly cloudy...no snow/no rain and no wind! Almost flip flop weather!!

Brisket looking real good!!! Every now and then I leave the lid open and get a temp spike also.:wsm: Can't wait to see the sliced plated pic!

Only 6 hours? How much did it weigh pre-cook? I didnt think running 275 and wrapping shortened the cooking time that much. I usually do 12 lbers at 230-250f with water unwrapped and it takes more like 14-16hrs.

11.8 pre-trim
3.8 lb fat removed
the temp peaked AND hovered around 325-335 for awhile....

I do not know why it's done so soon... but the probe slides thru like it's going in melted butter...

brisket13.jpg

Back