2003 silver b repair question

Rick in TN

I have broken the end caps where the pins connect to the box. Weber recommends a new lid. I wanted to replace only the end caps. Anyone done this on this model? Any idea why Weber does not recommend replacing caps? They say it is difficult to do. My lid does not have any outside screw holes nor rivets like the end caps sold by eappliance (60402 and 60403) I think are the numbers. I wouldn't think it to be too difficult. Thanks, Rick

I've replaced the end caps on a silver b. They are an easy replacement. No need to replace the entire hood. The only reason they don't want to replace it yourself is because it's kind of a pain. There isn't enough clearance between the nuts and the top of the hood to use a standard ratchet, and the other side of the bolts are flat. This means you need to find some way to hold the bolts still while using a Cresent wrench to losen the nuts. Not hard, just a pain in the butt.

Ah. Hope it gives people a few chuckles. I don't mind being the "butt" of a few jokes/laughs if it helps bring a little joy.

To answer my own question. Finally got the correct parts and may have taken 30 minutes to change the end caps. Not hard to do at all. Not sure why Weber says it is a difficult repair.

Back