• 2 cups light brown sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups ketchup
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 8 dried or fresh figs
  • 1/2 cup fig preserves
  • A bit of honey
  • Butter
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

Remove stems from 8 figs and cut in half lengthwise. Melt 1-2 TBSP butter in a sauce pot over medium heat. Place figs into pot and cook for a few minutes to soften.

Add ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar to the pot and stir occasionally. When brown sugar is melted, add fig preserves and a splash of honey and stir until well combined.

Carefully pour hot mixture into a blender and purée until smooth. Pour mixture back into pot, add a pinch of salt and a few pinches of black pepper. Simmer over low heat for several minutes, stirring so the sauce does not burn.

I'm not real sure the difference between figs & dates but I wish Costco was more consistent with having the dehydrated dates.
They are two different species of trees. Figs grow on fig trees (Ficus genus) and dates grow on date palm trees (Phoenix genus). But both are often dried and sweet and sticky and kind of exotic, thus perhaps the confusion/similarity between the two.

I'm enjoying the book so far - seems simple but I'm especially enjoying the parts on fire control, good smoke/bad smoke, wood selection, pit designs, etc :)

I only have 20-30 minutes in it so far ---- at first I was disappointed in the paper type but not anymore. I didn't realize I'd pre-ordered both the hardcover & kindle edition

Back