Used Genesis 1000 - What to look for/at when buying used

Kris Pfeiffer

TVWBB Member
Hi, all.

My old grill finally disintegrated (big-box grill from 13 years ago) and I'm in the market for a grill...I've seen what some of the folks have done with older Genesis 1000 grills, and I'm inspired.

There's a used one locally for $120. I'm going to look at it today. The price seems steep to me...he sent me some cell phone pics and it looks to be in typical "used' shape. He didn't included any shorts of the burners or the flavorizer bars.

The big reason I'm looking at this is because it's a natural gas grill - when I built my home, I included a gas line to the patio. I've been waiting for my old LPG gas to die so I could replace it with a NG grill. It'll sit right next to my WSM Smoker :)

What should I pay close attention to as I'm looking at the grill? How do I inspect the burners/etc?

If all goes well, you'll see a new reburb thread on the forum shortly.

Thanks!
Kris

Those 1000s are pretty robust. Things to watch for are rust on the frame and corrosion of the fire box. If the frame is rusted through forget it, most of the rest of the parts are available through various sources. Also $120 is way to high IMO.
If you need grates, flavorizer bars, etc. check with rcplanebuyer on EBay he has the best of the best replacement SS parts.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Kris, check out the Genesis 1000 I got a few weeks ago. GENESIS 1000 LINK i got it for $55.00. It was originally listed at $78.00. Only difference is it is propane. When you look at it, let the seller know that you will have to put a lot of work into it and spend money to rehab. I have seen NG Genesis 1000 on Craigslist in SoCal in the $100.00 plus range. If it looks about the same as mine, you will have to rehab the wood and sand and paint the frame and outside of firebox and probably the igniter. The metal piece around the igniter spark end corrodes and will ultimately need to be replaced. Good luck and keep posting. If you do this, you will get a lot of joy from your hard work. Also, my unit was able to function when I got it but that is not a criteria that should make a lot of difference.

Also, Rich's suggestion for rcplanebuyer is right on the money. I will be ordering stainless grates and maybe flavorizer bars also. Both my grates and flavorizer bars are ok, but stainless is better and rcplanebuyer's workmanship looks great.

Last edited:
Kris if your model has four holes in the lower part of the legs one on each leg. I have a bottom rack in great condition that should fit it. If you want to pay the postage you can have it. I can box it up and find out what it will cost if you want just PM me your zip.
S1031447_zpshzfddmwn.jpg

Never mind Kris I though what I saw in the pictures was the a newer version not the 1000 series what you need is the same as your upper shelf. Sorry for the screw up.

Back