Weber Genesis Restore and Questions

Dave Evanston

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased this Weber on craigslist for $50 and wanted to restore it. I understand that it's a Genesis 2000 but I had a question regarding the color. It has a burnt orange/copper color for its lid. Is this common for this grill in the year it was manufactured? I believe it's from 1996 but I had noticed some people with the red lids. Could it have been switched out at some point? Also if i wanted to paint the lid red would this be possible. I'm still debating on doing that but am anxious to get started on it. I also understand that parts should be plentiful on this if needed but wanted to get some tips on where to begin first on this project for anyone who has restored their older grills. Thanks for your help! I have attached pictures of what it looks like as well as the serial #.

grill1.jpg

grill2.jpg

grill3.jpg

Looks to be in pretty good shape Dave. Have you tried hooking it up to a tank and running it. I believe you are right on the year. My Genesis 1000 Redhead is serial number ER 383040. Weber tech support can probably give you more info. They have most parts available. I don't think I would change the color but that is just me. I would start by stripping it down to parts and giving it a degrease and cleaning. I am going to use Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra for all the black on mine. For cleaning, I started with oven cleaner for twenty minutes and then used a pressure washer on it. That got a lot of grease of and a lot of paint also. That is as far as I have gotten yet. Check Bob Correll's post on his redhead. he just posted the rehab of the wood slats and they look great.

Thank you Bob! The grill was left outside by the owner for an unspecified amount of time, he was selling it for his father. I was thinking maybe it had gotten sun bleached. Youre right though I will leave the color as is. The wood does look like it's in good condition as well but I will definitely check out Bob Correll's post post about the wood slats, thanks for the recommendation!

As of now I do not know if it works, the previous owner did say he fired it up a week or two ago so I am taking him for his word. He didn't include a tank so I couldn't test. At worst I'm hoping it'd just need a new ignition switch and not new burners!

Restore Link

Dave, you might want to check out this link. Weber should have most any parts you might need. By the way, last night I put mine back together and did burgers and they came out great. These grills my by 19 or so years old, but they are still great grills.

Last edited:
Thank you Bob! I'll check out that link. I also was able to get the grill up and running so I'm glad I won't have to replace the burners or igniter.

I just finished disassembling the grill and noticed that the flavorizer bars are extremely rusted. I'm going to try to steel wool them but those may be an additional expense if I can't get them somewhat clean. Fingers crossed on those. Do you know if pressure washing them will do anything?

I also feel that the wood slats may be the most time consuming in this project but well worth it.

I'll post once the project is complete I hope it will be soon.

There is a guy on ebay that sells both grates and flavorizer bars made of stainless steel but you should just be able to clean them. Looking forward to seeing yours done.

Trying to get those done by this weekend, I'll keep and eye out for the guy on ebay. The Weber site had bars for $47 which is reasonable, they were porcelain so maybe that was the reason for the low price.

It looks like a nice grill for 50 bucks. It should last you a long time when you get it ready.
The wood does not look bad at all from the pictures. I sand them and oil them, sometimes no stain needed.

The bars may not last the way you think. 20 Gauge is kinda flimsy. If you can, look up RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. You'll get a set of grates and bars that they will have to bury you with and at a great price. Those flimsy thin ones will just burn through and not conduct heat well. And BTW never NEVER paint the lid of a Weber. Weber uses porcelain so all you can do is ruin the lid. As long as the porcelain is not chipped it will last forever. Check the burners for cracks. If the grill is operated for very long with bad bars the heat from the burners can crack themselves in the presence of cooking liquids dripping on them. I actually sort of had my eye on that grill myself. Just too long a drive for something I did not "need". (about 100 miles each way). When you guys get "lake effect" we get Mississippi effect ;-)

Back