Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heatermeter Aux. Thermocouple And two probe board V6.1(Final Version)

TVWBB Wizard
    I just checked the Mouser cart and sure enough, it had 4 .1u caps. Its fixed now, sorry about that.
    Heatermeter Builder. Adapter Board v6.3, Heatermeter customizer.

Thanks I was a little confused

TVWBB Fan
    Just thought I'd let you know how your TC amp is being used out there. This is a v5 in a case I printed up. I plug it into a cat5 cable I have run to my deck and snap it on a leg of the BGE with the glued on magnet. The extra jack is for a cat5 jumper to my blower/servo. Works perfect!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Genesis 1000 LX (96), Skyline 3200 (99), 18.5 OTG (05), 22.5 WSM (09), Performer (09)

Hi John

Well i finally got life to the point that i was able to build my aux board. I didnt put in the op amp as i had the 77 or the 3v ref but it seems that the TC temp is just way off.

The food probe is reading 74 and the TC is reading 195. The strange thing is when i heat the TC the temp goes down not up.

Should i put in the other parts and order the 777 op amp ?

Thanks

Davey

TVWBB Diamond Member
    are you working with a RDTCv6 or RDTCv6.1 board? I built a few v6 and had no problems, I built a few v6.1 and with one board I had the same problem as you are having with the TC. I had the 3.3v reg installed and the REF circuit, both of which I removed in attempt to isolate the problem, unfortunately I never was able to isolate the problem and ended up trashing the whole board. There is something about the v6.1 design that makes it harder to build, IDK if it is a via too close to a pin under the TC amp or what, but v6.1 is definitely harder to build.

Hi Ralph.

It was the 6.1 version. I have ordered a new set of parts for building the other 2 boards.

Just to confirm once i have got the TC amp and the basic components i should be able to test by linking the 5v and refG jumpers correct. Then remove them and add in the Op AMP and the Voltage Reg?

Thanks

TVWBB Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyR View Post
    Hi Ralph.

It was the 6.1 version. I have ordered a new set of parts for building the other 2 boards.

Just to confirm once i have got the TC amp and the basic components i should be able to test by linking the 5v and refG jumpers correct. Then remove them and add in the Op AMP and the Voltage Reg?

Thanks
    If you install all the parts the 5v and RefG pads are not used

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I found the v6.1 board harder to build than the v6 board.... After completely building up one that wouldn't work, and troubleshooting for an hour and never fixing it I decided to test the boards mid build myself. So with the v6.1 I generally install the TC amp, caps, resistors, 3.3vreg and the CAT5 jack, then jumper the REF gnd and plug it into a HM to test. This way I can test the tc amp without the reference circuit first, and troubleshoot it without the TC and probe jacks in the way if it doesnt work. Once the TC amp is verified I move on to the REF IC and install the jacks.
    John, we had talked last week about the RDTC board, and how the the plugs on the new Thermoworks Pro probes are bigger around and wont fit side by side in the RDTC. I suggest that if we do go back and widen the space on the food probe jacks that we take a step backward and work from the v6 design instead of v6.1, because I found v6 to be easier to build. The only problem I found with V6 is the screen printing for the header was mixed up, showing the servo where the blower should be, which would be easily corrected without rerouting any of the circuits. The only other thing I would suggest you look at if you are modifying the board would be to make sure all via's are as far as possible from the chips and any solder joint really, but particularly not under the chips were solder could flow and bridge and you will never see it (I think that might be what happened to the one RDTCv6.1 board I build that was DOA)

The parts should be here on Monday but i now see that i should look at ordering a new blower for the RD3 so i will hopefully not have issues with the new builds.

Will let people know.

TVWBB Wizard
    I just put an update to OSH and its now version 6.2. Boards prior to 6.2 may have issues with new Thermowork probes.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast