Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heatermeter Aux. Thermocouple And two probe board V6.1(Final Version)

TVWBB Wizard

Heatermeter Aux. Thermocouple And two probe board V6.2

Well, its been through a lot of changes and Ralph and I believe we have finally found a version of the board that has everything where it needs to be and works the way its suppose to.

This board has a Thermocouple amp and jack and two probes along with connections for the blower and servo that can be connected to a Cat5 cable and the Heatermeter. The TC amp can be either be used at 3.3v or 5V by adding a 3.3 regulator, if running at 5v then you can jumper it.

Also, you can add the ability to use a reference voltage on the thermocouple amp that will let the thermocouple read temperatures below zero. If you don't need this ability, then it to can be bypassed and the TC will work the same as the one on the Heatermeter.

To order the board

OSH Park

The Mouser Components

Newark Thermocouple jack

If not using The Ref. voltage then the following are not needed

OP777ARZ
    100k Trimmer-Part # 652-3361P-1-104GLF
    C3-.1u cap
    R3-1M resistor

If not using a 3.3v Regulator, the following are not needed

C1, C2 - .1u cap
    MCP1700T 3.3v Regulator

This board also uses a single locking header for attaching a blower and servo, although, it to can be omitted from the board and alternate attaching headers can be used. Its nice having a simple secure connection if you are using a servo and blower.

This board does not add to the total Thermocouples or probes the Heatermeter can use. This only extends the TC and probe connections to the end of a Cat5 cable verified upto 50ft.

Bottom

Updated to V.6.2
    Moved the probe two 1mm closer to the TC jack to help with Thermowork probes. Also, moved some parts around to help with soldering. If using the TC jack hold down staple. Solder it after placing the probe jacks, as it may cause interference with placement from solder.

Update 6.20.2015
    Moved a few components and component names to better tell them apart

Updated 8.12.2015
    -Tented vias(no more visible vias to accidently solder)
    -Added an alternate Pit 2.5mm jack, If you don't want to solder SMD parts they can be eliminated and you can use a regular thermistor for the Pit probe.
    Last edited by John Bostwick; 08-12-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Heatermeter Builder. Adapter Board v6.3, Heatermeter customizer.

TVWBB Fan
    Hi John, Just built a version 5 TC Amp and have a question on the 2 sets of jumper pads. I installed all components so assume by what is written above I don't jumper the 3.3v pads, the others say something about reference ground I believe. I'm not sure by what is written above when you jumper or not these pads. Thanks.

Edit. Rereading a few times I think since I have the trimmer I don't jumper the reference pads either. My trimmer doesn't seem to have any effect so maybe I need to recheck my solder job.
    Last edited by Dan Francis; 03-09-2015 at 03:59 PM.
    Genesis 1000 LX (96), Skyline 3200 (99), 18.5 OTG (05), 22.5 WSM (09), Performer (09)

TVWBB Wizard
    The two jumper pads should only be solder if you will be bypassing the opamp circuit. Also, im not sure of when you got your parts but we changed opamps to, i believe from a opamp77(?)to a opamp777 or whats in the parts list now. The reason was when i had tested it, i could not get temperature below 300.

Also, the trimmer should be a 100k, i beleive, but if you have a larger value, it should just give you more movement to the temperature. Regardless, of opamp or trimmer, you should see movement in temperature.

Once, im home i can help a little more, or if Ralph can also, he would be more in the know when it comes to figuring out opamp and trimmer issues.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bostwick View Post
    The two jumper pads should only be solder if you will be bypassing the opamp circuit. Also, im not sure of when you got your parts but we changed opamps to, i believe from a opamp77(?)to a opamp777 or whats in the parts list now. The reason was when i had tested it, i could not get temperature below 300.

Also, the trimmer should be a 100k, i beleive, but if you have a larger value, it should just give you more movement to the temperature. Regardless, of opamp or trimmer, you should see movement in temperature.

Once, im home i can help a little more, or if Ralph can also, he would be more in the know when it comes to figuring out opamp and trimmer issues.
    Thanks. I do have the old opamp installed but also have the 777 here. I ordered parts at two different times and didn't notice the change, will attempt to swap them out. Sounds like that should do it as my temp above 300 also. Thanks again.
    Genesis 1000 LX (96), Skyline 3200 (99), 18.5 OTG (05), 22.5 WSM (09), Performer (09)

TVWBB Diamond Member
    you want the more expensive 777 op amp. John also had a problem getting the offset circuit to work with the cheaper OP07DRZ op amp, I didn't have one for testing so I haven't been able to examine what was going on. On my last parts order I did get a OP07DRZ, but I have a lot on my plate right now so I don't see me getting a chance to experiment with the circuit. Using the 777 op amp you should be golden, I've built more than a half dozen of those circuits and they all work great.

TVWBB Wizard
    Yeah, had me puzzled, as i could not get it below 300, and i changed out the opamp and it worked correctly, after that

TVWBB Fan
    Tried to swap out part but burned/pulled pads off. Built new board this morning with correct 777 op amp and works perfect. Good job guys! Thanks.

TVWBB Wizard
    Glad i sent some extra boards,lol. Glad you got it up and running.

Hi john I just received the boards that I ordered from osh park I counted 10 capacitors and resistors(basically the same size)not counting the trimmer and received 11 from mouser so i wanted to ask about it before I got started.

TVWBB Wizard
    it should be
    2 1n (1000 pF) (TC)
    1 10n (0.01 uF) (TC)
    3 0.1u(TC & 3.3v regulator)
    2 10k(TC)
    1 1k(TC)
    1 1m(for opamp)

Trimmer
    Heatermeter Builder. Adapter Board v6.3, Heatermeter customizer.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast