Wicker's Marinade/Mop/Sauce Clone

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I've used bottled Wicker's marinade on a spatch chicken, and pork chops and really like it.
This is supposed to be a copycat recipe.
I plan to tweak it to my tastes.
Red pepper flakes should go well in it.
It can serve as a marinade, mop, finishing sauce, or possibly for injection.

Wicker's Marinade
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar (see notes)
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (see notes)
4 teaspoons chili powder(see notes)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions
Combine all ingredients and simmer for about ten minutes to dissolve spices. Let sit for 24 hrs. or more. Shake container well before using.
Add some oil, if desired, to the marinade.
I would leave it out for the mop.

Notes:
Another recipe I found:
used 3/4 cup vinegar and 3/4 cup water
did not call for sugar
called for 4 Tablespoons of chili powder, not 4 teaspoons
did not call for heating
The bottle states: "Contains vinegar and spices"

Wicker's sauce is great, but hard to find. I will have to try this. I love it as a marinade... especially for wings.

I used the first recipe a couple weeks ago. I haven't had real Wicker's in years, but I could tell the raw marinade tasted a little off. However grilled chicken was pretty close.

I didn't like sugar in the marinade -- my chicken burned. I'm pretty sure real Wicker's is sugar free.

I was actually scanning through this forum looking for a better version. I'll have to try the second one.

I thought "Oh no, lawsuit" when I saw that Dan Wicker had commented on my recipe post
icon_smile.gif

Very cool & thanks for the recipe. Glad to see other people appreciate Wickers as much as I do. I've been using wickers for years, we go to Cape Girardeau a lot and I always head for the store to pick-up a few bottles of wickers. Great Stuff

D,
The Wal-Mart in Arnold sells Wickers, and so does Karsch's Market in Barnhart.
Karsch's often has tri tip roasts too.

Heres another Wickers clone. I like it best with white vinager

1 qt white vinager
3 T salt
3 T chile powder
4 tsp black pepper
4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp sugar.

enjoy.

Went to my cupboard for a bottle of Wickers, the cupboard was bare.
So I came here for the recipe and decided to bump, in case others want to try it and can't get it.

PS, the Arnold Wal-Mart no longer sells Wickers.:(

Well, between Bob and Tireman...which recipe is the closest? I've never had Wicker's, so I want to experience something very close to the original. Bob, do you use it with pork steaks?

I'll look for it out here, but it'll be as rare as Maull's or hen's teeth I'm sure....

Well, between Bob and Tireman...which recipe is the closest? I've never had Wicker's, so I want to experience something very close to the original. Bob, do you use it with pork steaks?
I'll look for it out here, but it'll be as rare as Maull's or hen's teeth I'm sure....
Sorry I didn't see this until now Mike.
Can't attest to Tireman's but Jim Lampe and I have made the one I gave and think it's pretty darn close.

Jeff, perhaps shipping to Springfield Missouri is reasonable... however, to ship a three pack of ½ gallon bottles to my Wisconsin address is:

79.44 overnight
35.16 FedEx 2 day am
30.89 FedEx 2 day

naw, i'll continue to make it at home.

Last edited:
Wow, haven't been to their site lately.
They want $9.21 for a 24 oz bottle, not including shipping?
I can get it, when in stock, at a local store for $3.80.
Several of those would fit in a flat rate box and ship for about $12.xx
Sad to see the greed on the product's price, and not using a cheaper way to ship.

Bob, it was about two years ago they changed their shipping rates.
Last time I purchased from Wicker's was June 2013
Honestly, I'd buy a ½ case (12 - 24oz bottles), with shipping the total cost was 57 bucks.

Sorry I didn't see this until now Mike.
Can't attest to Tireman's but Jim Lampe and I have made the one I gave and think it's pretty darn close.

Bob, you are referring to the "Wicker's Marinade" version in your original post, and not the "Notes" variation, correct?

this is exactly how I make it:

Wicker's Marinade
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions
Combine all ingredients and simmer for about ten minutes to dissolve spices. Let sit for 24 hrs. or more. Shake container well before using.

Just to defend Wickers, that is $9.21 for 3 24 ounce bottles.

Not using USPS is wrong. Not only are they cheap and dependable, they need the business if we're going to continue to have a mail system.

If their web site is right, just about every supermarket in Springfield carries it. I had never heard of it before this thread came back to life. I'll have to grab a bottle and try it out.

Back