Asian style pulled pork

Ted from Bristow

TVWBB Member
As much as I love traditional East Carolina 'Q', I sometimes want to try something new. I stumbled across this recipe for an Asian style pork shoulder. IT WAS AWESOME!! I followed the recipe with the exception that I did not use the oven (of course). I used cherry on this cook since I didn't think the ginger and other flavors would pair particularly well with stronger hickory/mesquite. My wife suggested we eat the pork with a little bit of pineapple on a Kings Hawaiian dinner/slider roll. GREAT SUGGESTION!! It was FANTASTIC!. The BBQ sauce in the recipe is only available in Wegman's grocery stores (east coast), but I'm sure a fine substitute can be sourced elsewhere.

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...toreId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=752831

1 (7-10 lb) Wegmans Whole Bone-In Pork Shoulder Roast
1/4 cup Wegmans Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Tuong Ot Toi Viet Nam Chili Garlic Sauce (International Foods)
1/4 cup Asian Classics Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 cup peeled, chopped fresh ginger
2 Tbsp Food You Feel Good About Granulated Sugar
1 bottle (20 oz) Food You Feel Good About Asian Style BBQ Sauce

You'll Need: Roasting pan (remove rack)

Day before: Diagonally score top and bottom of pork about 3/4-inch deep in diamond pattern. Combine oil, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, ginger, and sugar in small bowl. Coat pork well with sauce. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.

Day you're serving: Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Remove plastic wrap; transfer pork, fat side up, to shallow roasting pan. Bake uncovered 7-8 hours.

Remove roast from oven. Raise oven temp to 350 degrees. Carefully brush roast with half of the BBQ sauce. Return to oven; roast 15 min. Remove from oven. Pull meat apart or slice for serving. Serve with remaining sauce.

Option(s):
Can also be served with a simple dipping sauce made from equal parts soy sauce and sesame oil, with chopped green onions.

That sounds great Ted. Next time you make it, please post some pictures. I am going to try this. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks, Ted. The pork sounds wonderful. We love Asian-style pork. I wonder if we can replicate Wegman's sauce.

Here is the ingredient list. You might want to check the reviews (some of the reviewers probably used too much and overpowered their meat).

Ingredients:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Hot Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Fancy Molasses, Salt, Contains 2% or Less of Modified Corn Starch, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Ginger, Orange Peel, Garlic, Spices, Acetic Acid, Sesame Oil (Adds a Trivial Amount of Fat), Natural Flavors, Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride.

I don't think there are any Wegman's in JaJa and I haven't seen any in Atlana. Maybe we could match Wegman's sauce up with something locally available or mix up our own sauce. It looks do-able, given the ingredient list. Love the addition of the orange zest. As there is molasses in the mix, a dark soy sauce might be worth trying for its deeper flavor. Lemon juice for the citric acid. Wegman's seemingly did not use 5-spice powder, but a pinch or two would not be out of place in the sauce. Google for other substitutions.

Thanks Ted, for the good idea. Cherry sounds delicious, and I'll bet a milder apple would also be good. Mrs. Ted has good taste buds - she found a winning combination. Hang on to her!

Rita

Rita, I'm sure any Asian-inspired sauce would get the job done. And yes, the Wegman's sauce was very potent. It would be easy to overdo it.

And I'll try to hang on to the wife.......she's the brains in our particular operation :)

Back