Need to build 3 heatermeter's.. advice on version?

Aaron Morris

TVWBB Member
Hello all, I recently completed my 4.2.4 with a Pi B, and my freinds all love it and want me to make them one.

I'm assuming now the best way would be to use the A+, and if I should go with the 4.2.4 version or wait for the 5?

Also, where is a place to source those 4 way switches if I choose to do the 4.2.4?

Thanks!

Hello all, I recently completed my 4.2.4 with a Pi B, and my freinds all love it and want me to make them one.

I'm assuming now the best way would be to use the A+, and if I should go with the 4.2.4 version or wait for the 5?

Also, where is a place to source those 4 way switches if I choose to do the 4.2.4?

Thanks!

Yep, go with v4.2.4

These guys have 1600 of the 4 way switches in stock http://www.onlinecomponents.com/alps-electric-skquaaa010.html?p=10114925

Or if you want to make things easier, just order the kits with all the parts at the HeaterMeter Store

The v5 only adds compatibility with the Pi B+, is larger, and is still at least a couple months off so if you're going to go with wifi anyway the v4.2.4 A+ is just as good and available now.

I'm working on modifying my electric smoker using the HM and an SSR. I should have the rest of the parts to finish my HM build this weekend. I'm planning to install a bypass switch that allows me to still use my old analog control on the smoker and the HM PID in the other position. Should be a pretty sweet setup when I'm all done.

Thanks!

Mouser still has the surface mount version of the 4 way switch. I used that for my recent build. It was easy to handle and attach

Mouser still has the surface mount version of the 4 way switch. I used that for my recent build. It was easy to handle and attach

Same here, I recently built two 4.2.4s with those Mouser surface mounts. Super easy. I used a little tape to secure the switch in place, and after putting a tiny bit of tin to the 1st leg everything else was trivial.

Antti

Cool, will have to try the SMD version of the switch. Regarding traegers, yes they have their own temp control.

Where would one integrate the SSR?

I have an electric smoker and am planning to high the SSR in the back where the current wiring exists (haven't seen yet if it will fit). I plan to run a Cat5 cable out from there (along with my Thermocouple cable) for connection to the HeaterMeter. I will install a DPDT bypass switch to flip between my old analog controller (if I would ever want to use it again) and the HM PID controller. I now have my 4-line LCD HM built and running. I'm just waiting on my case from Tom and then I'll start my smoker modifications.

Back