Alton Brown's steamed wings

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
These aren't boiled ribs, so please don't dis me. :)
Shooting for crisp wings, I decided to try AB's trick.
Steamed for about 20 minutes, turning once.
Picked out mostly the flats from a bag of Costco wings.

hA_5cC_qDmmlT1npnuu0jmVQ4IZpXc6t-EjlB_yxHim1=w892-h595-no

First possible mistake was not putting them in the fridge for an hour as per Alton.
Second one was using a rub.
IMGP2122.JPG

I wanted to go direct over hot lump, but the rub wanted to burn.
IMGP2124.JPG

They did get some direct, with few flare-ups, so maybe the steam did get rid of some of the under skin fat.
IMGP2125.JPG

Pretty crisp, and very moist.
AB cooked his in the oven.
Next time I'll go the fridge cool, no rub, route.

Maybe later this year I'll get back to doing the whole Photo Gallery thing, with plated pics, etc.
But I kind of resolved myself to posting only new methods, recipes, etc that I try, like we did before the gallery came into being.

Thanks for the visit!
Here's a short video by Alton.

I love AB... Well not that kind of love, a Food Love... He is on point with most his stuff.. Takes a scientific approach to his recipes... Great... I have never steamed them. The rub causes burn b/c of sugar? I always use a rub..

Here are mine from last night.

Will give that a try, and without the rub. Last time I did wings the rub burned and the wings were not very good. So next I'll just sauce them at the end.

Me too! I'll check the video later

>>>edit: Nice Video! I'll try that recipe. I don't think the rub was the issue but more the direct heat (from my pov).... have you tried cooking them Robert McGee's favorite way (top grate of the WSM with no water pan, kind of like Brian S's Roadside chicken recipe

....we'll be watching for your plated photo gallery pics. & whatever other pics you feel like putting up.

Last edited:
Maybe some smoke wood would make up for the missing rub when you try them again?

There is ALOT to be said about steaming. I never really cared for it until I was forced through my work to learn about it. It is an amazing tool and I'm now the owner of a combi unit. There is alot of science going on in a little box. It will really change the way you think about cooking. I hate to say it, But the combi unit crushes my Primo on bread making:(

I've been using the AB method for wings for several years now, with outstanding results. I go indirect, with the temperature about where AB sets his oven. I think the chill is critical, but then, I've never not done it that way. I don't season until I toss...and ABs recipe is woefully short on hot sauce. I use a lot more hot sauce and quite a bit more garlic. I toss a couple chunks of hickory in, too. Mine come out almost as crispy as fried wings and no rubbery parts. If I weren't so lazy, I would make these a lot more often. They take a bit more attention than some other cooks and they're a bit labor intensive on the prep...but well worth it in the end.

Okay, now I'm dying for wings.

I happened on A SITE that suggests par-boiling the wings instead of steaming them and claims that the wings are just as crispy as AB's. Cleanup was easier. A YOUTUBE VIDEO also suggests par-boiling PLUS cutting the joints of the wings after par-boiling, easier to do. It might be worth a comparison.

Rita

I happened on A SITE that suggests par-boiling the wings instead of steaming them and claims that the wings are just as crispy as AB's. Cleanup was easier. A YOUTUBE VIDEO also suggests par-boiling PLUS cutting the joints of the wings after par-boiling, easier to do. It might be worth a comparison.

Rita
I saw a couple of sites mentioning par-boiling wings too Rita, but feared I'd be tarred and feathered.
Let us know how it works. :)

Love wings on the grill. This recipe uses a marinade rather than a rub and it's killer:

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/buffa-que-wings/

Follow the recipe and you can't go wrong, but if you want 'em extra crispy, finish them over direct heat for the last 4-5 minutes. Use Frank's Red Hot sauce and real butter for the mop. We eat them with Ranch dressing instead of Blue Cheese, and consume plenty of Shiner Bock.

We have had these dozens of times and they never fail to satisfy. I use a Platinum Kettle with charcoal baskets on the sides and a shallow water pan in the middle. Any smoke wood is good.

Jeff

Hey Rita,

I make wings just about every weekend and for the rare occasion that do not do them on the grill I always do the pre boil. It's just easier than steaming them. I found that when doing it I do not get, at least for me, the baked chicken flavor and they come out crisper. I was skeptical about this at first but it does work. Let me know if you have any questions.

I am reviving this thread. Kevin J, are you still out there?

I finally had a chance to try the boiling method yesterday; haven't tried steaming them yet. I simmered the wings in lightly salted water for 7 minutes before chilling and baking them at 425F. I found them less succulent than I expected. I am thinking that I might have simmered them too long and cooked out the natural gelatin in the meat. How long do you boil the wings?

Also, does anyone use another type of glaze instead of the Buffalo sauce? If so, do you put them back in the oven or on the grill to set the glaze or simply use it as a sticky coating like the Buffalo sauce?

Rita

Last edited:
Nice timing Rita! I watched that vid just a week or 3 ago myself. I'd like to see your pics if you posted them......

Back