Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished soldering, lcd has black row of squares...

Finished soldering, lcd has black row of squares...

Hello all. I need some advice for troubleshooting. Its my first time with a project like this! I finally finished all the soldering for now (Need to get case to finish installing leds). I wrote to my SD card and inserted it as instructed here. Its being powered via the Raspberry Pi B. The LCD never lights up or shows '-No Pit Probe-'. I've verified that the SD card has files on it, i've reseated the card. I've also removed and reseated the ATMega chip. For my pit probe connectors I see some joined, but it looks similiar to others. The closest connector I found is on the left row of the ATMega across from the letter 'e' in HeaterMeter but blowing up the pic it shows a very thin seperation. The LCD screen was put on backwards so that fun flipping.

Here are some pics of the board, as well as a closer look at part of it.

Here is one without the pi connected:

Thanks for any help/ suggestions!

Boot the raspberry pi on its own with a monitor/tv connected to the HDMI port and see if it's really booting up or not.

Did you adjust the blue trimmer resister. You need to do that so the display shows the alpha numeric characters. Try that and see what you see.

Also, welcome to the site!!
    2013 WSM 22.5 , 2008 C&B Performer 22.5 , 96 Genesis 1000 Redhead , 1995 Smokey Joe , 2 HeaterMeters, Vortex

Steve_M, I just booted up the raspberry pi to the tv and all looks good, I saw no errors. When I connect it back to the heatermeter, the display then starts producing errors:

Bob, it wasn't until I adjusted the blue dial that I saw the black squares.

Those last fews lines on the screen about EXT4-fs errors aren't good.

You need to re-flash the SD card or try a different card.

Something def happened to that SD card. I've replaced and flashed it. I don't see any errors on the screen this time, but LCD still shows black squares. I feel that we are making some progress.

When you fixed the display orientation, it's possible that you may have damaged some pads.

The ones on the right side look to be in worse shape than the ones on the left.

Check these for continuity.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    You also may want to try pressing enter at that console and typing `avrupdate` to make sure the ATmega is up and running. It shouldn't say "Fuses ERROR".

EDIT: I just noticed the first post. Are you powering up your device with it sitting on Aluminum foil? That's a really bad idea because aluminum is conductive and there are plenty of exposed pads and pins on the bottom of a Pi.
    Last edited by Bryan Mayland; 02-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Starting from the left, straight lines 2 & 4 made my analog multimeter twitch only a bit. The rest of them were no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Mayland View Post

EDIT: I just noticed the first post. Are you powering up your device with it sitting on Aluminum foil? That's a really bad idea because aluminum is conductive and there are plenty of exposed pads and pins on the bottom of a Pi.
    It more looks like an anti-static bag than aluminum foil, but nevertheless those anti-static bags are also conductive on the outside, and likewise the heatermeter should not rest on it when applying power.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast