Smoke day tomorrow!

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
It has been a long time since I have gotten to use the smoker. I have been using the grills and trying new things, just not posting. I have been watching you all and as always impressed with the level of talent on here. Everything I am smoking is getting vacuum sealed for future dinners.

I am smoking a pork loin rubbed in sage, garlic, salt, pepper and onion powder. It will then have a balsamic vinegar/brown sugar glaze added to it when packaged. This is how it looked when I started and after the rub was added. I cut slits in it the whole length and got some of the garlic down inside.

Also getting done is some country ribs I picked up today at the store that had a $5 off coupon since the sell by date was tomorrow. Final price, $5.02 for 5 pounds! I was excited by the find. Rubbed half down with Tatonka Dust and cayenne powder. The other half for a mixture of Famous Dave's Rib Rub mixed with some brown sugar.

The chicken thighs will get brined for a few hours while the pork cooks and then rubbed down with adobo seasoning. It will get shredded when done into a few packages for pork taco meals where additional seasoning will get added.

The plan is to put the loin and ribs on first and then the chicken after. I think the chicken will dry out since I want to cook that around 220 and the pork at 240 or so. Any thoughts are welcomed. I have never smoked thighs before and have read conflicting reports. Some say the outside of the chicken will be too tough at that temp and I should smoke it closer to 250. Other things said the exact opposite. I would like to just put the chicken on the lower rack and the pork on the top at the same time because we are going to the movies with some friends at noon tomorrow and then I have to go back to work at 7 tomorrow night.

Wow RJ you're really squirreling away the goodies there, you be eating like a king with little effort later on. Barb and I just got a food saver and our doing the same on a smaller scale, just makes sense to cook up a batch instead of doing one at a time when there is only the two of us.

Yeah Rich, it makes things so much easier. You can just pull a package out of the freezer and put it into a pot of boiling water. It's crazy that it still tastes like you just made it, if you package it as soon as its done.

All the pork on. Chicken is brining and will go on later.

Last edited:
The ribs hit 150 and I pulled them and put into a pan. I added apple cider and covered with foil and back on the smoker they went.

I am a "true believer" when it comes to the Food Saver. We ALWAYS do more than necessary with ribs, Boston Butts, and even chicken. My wife is a MASTER at leftovers.

When you are having guests, it is world's easier to have pre-cooked ribs, as a for instance, then just heat up with a fresh application of sauce and I get to sit around and talk to everyone instead of being outside at the BBQ. It makes for a much more pleasant affair all 'round.

There ARE exceptions, however. One example is when we have a pizza party. Then EVERYTHING is live although we DO precook any meat that is necessary, etc.. When everyone gets together, makes their own pizza, then I slap it on the grill and in just a few minutes we are all eating. But, that's different.

RJ Banks;
That's an ambitious smoke and just goes to show how a little planning goes a long way to insure success. I'll bet everything comes out just FINE!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

For sure you will be eating like a king for a while. Everything looks awesome and I'm sure the tastes were fantastic.

Thanks everyone and I hope you all are having a great weekend. The cooks going good so far. Got all the pork done and wrapped in towels and in the oven until we got back from the movie. Chicken is about to go on.

The pork loin came out juicy. It has a great smoked flavor even though I didn't get much of a ring on it. It's already sliced and packaged for four to five meals.

I packaged the ribs in two packs and will have those as sides to other meals. I had to try one of the ones seasoned with the Tatonka Dust and cayenne pepper. It was amazing! This may be the only way I do these ribs in the future and add a sauce for a change.

Will update the chicken in a bit.

Here is one of the three plates of chicken after it was done. I cooked it to 160 and foiled it for 30 minutes and it was perfect and delicious. This is so easy to prepare and only takes about an hour. It really is a great way to use up the last fuel left in the smoker.
I changed from my earlier post and upped the temp to 300 or so for the cook.

Back