Brining in Cold Weather?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Fitting the bucket & turkey into my fridge are probably going to be difficult at best.

Got to thinking:

If I put it outside, or in my detached garage overnight (temperatures in teens to twenties) - I know it will be cold enough to avoid spoilage.
I have a food-grade bucket with a lid - so I'm not really worried about critters or stuff getting into the brine / bucket.

But, how concerned would I need to be about it re-freezing in that sort of temperature range? Is there enough salt / sugar dissolved in the brine to keep it and/or the bird from freezing?

If I wanted to keep it a bit less-cold, I could put the bird in a bag inside a smallish insulated cooler - which may avoid the freezing at night time, when the temps will dip to their worst.

Thoughts & suggestions appreciated - Starting the brining process tomorrow (Sat. morning)

Do it all the time... it's the ONLY thing good about winter. Twelve quart pot of Chicken Stock hanging on the back porch right now.

I think you'd be fine if you put the bucket in your garage lightly wrapped in a blanket or two for insulation against the cold.

JimT

I, too, do this. The concrete floor doesn't get all that cold. If the air temp in the garage is really cold then a little improvised insulation (blanket, inverted styrofoam cooler, etc) thrown over the top will keep the bucket at fridge-like temperatures.

Brine has to be pretty cold to freeze.

Had it outside during the day - water got REALLY COLD, but not slushy.

Put it in a cool corner of the basement during the coldest part of the evening - now moved it back outside, since it'll start warming-up once the sun comes up (I think 10-F would've been too cold last night - getting into the 20s during the day.)

Thanks for the suggestions

Back