Ping Amir: Re StokerLog feature request...

joe thomas

TVWBB Fan
I did a jerky smoke this Sunday and at 11:00 PM the jerky still needed to go for another couple of hours. Rather than stay up I opted to go to bed and let the cook run it's course. For the most part the jerky is ok, very chewy, but some pieces are more like jerky chips, i.e. crunchy.

It sure would have been nice to have some sort of a timer function on the cooker so I could have had it drop the temperature at 1:00 AM. rather than continue the cook until 6. Would it be asking to much to code in such an option?

Thanks for considering,

You mean something different than current "Keep Warm" function? If you check that, it won't let the food get past the target temp.

You can program what it does in the Advanced settings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
You mean something different than current "Keep Warm" function? If you check that, it won't let the food get past the target temp.

You can program what it does in the Advanced settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The get warm function will only work if one is monitoring meat temperature. When I make jerky or ribs I only use the pit probe and cook for a given amount of time. For some reason my last jerky smoke needed to go a couple of hours longer than anticipated. It would be really nice to be able to set a the timer for a cook, e.g. I want to cook ribs and I need to take my daughter to softball but I know that I might run late so I set the software to cook for 5 hrs. at 250 then drop to 180 until I get home.

Thanks

Joe - at first I couldn't see the benefit of that feature. But the more I thought about it, the more ideas came to mind. When I cold smoke cheese (under 100F smoked for 2 hours), I do it by time -- the same when I smoke cured bacon (135F smoked for 5 hours). So the "timing" feature could be useful. But I would want to control the "setback" temp after the timer was done. In most cases, I would just want the target temp to be dropped to something like 35 so the smoker could just start cooling off. And even better if Stokerlog had an alarm sound for when the timer was done -- so it would wake me up if I'm taking a nap.

Great suggestion Joe.

I'll chime in here and agree that it would also be helpful to schedule a raise in temperature. I sometimes cook at one temp for a few hours and then ramp up later and it would be nice to set it to do so automatically.

I know Ken's timer program will do it, but I'm not sure how it plays with stokerlog.

Pat's suggestion is a good one. I can take a few minutes today to see what I can bang out.

What would you like the UI to be? Should it be on the main screen or a pop up where you program the times/temps?

Pat - great suggestion.

Amir, isn't the main screen getting a bit crowded? If there is room, that would be great. Otherwise, a pop-up to program this information. If a timer is programmed, could it then put a little icon on the main screen to let you know the timer has been set?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What would you like the UI to be? Should it be on the main screen or a pop up where you program the times/temps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Steve, maybe put it in the background. It's not something that I would use all the time, and some would maybe never use it at all.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the benefit of a timed ramp function. Why not put it in the "alarms" section of program?

Back