Picked up a red Genesis 1000 B for my son

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Not too savvy on gas grills, I think it's a 1000 B.
$30 from CL.
Been on the lookout for one for our newly married son.
Flavorizer bars are shot, but I think everything else might be workable, we shall see, come warmer weather when I start cleaning it up.
That's when I'll come here with all my questions. :)
crappy cell phone pics:

CAM00475.jpg

CAM00480.jpg

CAM00476.jpg

CAM00477.jpg

CAM00479.jpg

Nice! Don't bother with the burners unless you need to, the new ones will look like that pretty soon anyway. Just make sure the burner holes are clear (take a wire brush & air compressor to it)...

Since it's a gift I don't think I'd do the grate, that looks like mine did (I replaced w/ PCI). I squirted a small spray of WD40 (not sure how smart this is) on the burner valves, and they went from OK to 3 indents @ high/med/low... replaced the igniter..

I bet that turns out nice for just a little work - I love how mine cooks and the burner layout looks the same. I got the heavy duty bars from rcplanebuyer (seller @ ebay) - this link is just for reference, probably not the part you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Stain...278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7dfc4b7e

Yep that's a Genesis 1000. Doesn't look too bad either. Grates and flavorizer bars from RCplanebuyer would be the bomb for it too. PCI grates are nice but the ones from RCplanebuyer (very heavy SS rod) are the best. Lifetime product too.

Yep that's a Genesis 1000. Doesn't look too bad either. Grates and flavorizer bars from RCplanebuyer would be the bomb for it too. PCI grates are nice but the ones from RCplanebuyer (very heavy SS rod) are the best. Lifetime product too.

Agree with LMichaels, RCplanebuyer is the way to go you will find him on EBay. I rebuilt my Genesis 1000 green top about six years ago and bought my flavorizer bars from him and they still look like new, really good stuff. The 1000s are great grills you're going to really like it and there are many restoration posts that cover the process on the forum here.
Keep us posted.

Thanks guys!

I think the burners are in good enough shape, and the cook grates are fine.
Guessing the igniter's not working, match sticks in the grease cup.
Fire box is good, only needs paint on the shelf side, and a good cleaning inside.
The wood is well weathered, but not split.

I'll post when I get under way, could be early spring though.

That wood will clean up and refinish nicely. It will look very nice without too much effort. They last a long time.
Your son will like it a lot.

I tried the burners today for the first time.
The igniter sparks, but I had to use a match, the housing around it is rusted away.
All burners lit, so I shall proceed with cleaning etc!

20150309_162942.jpg

Sanded and stained the wood today.
Found a can of Minwax antique maple in the basement, seems to be near the original color.

20150310_164822.jpg

20150310_164831.jpg

Looking Good!

When you get the new ignitor (mine was around $10) there were a couple of options - take yours apart first. There was a press lock option & then a threaded...you'll see what I mean when you get it apart. There's a shroud that goes bad & then the porcelain cracks... seems like that part will be a maintenance issue every 5 years or so.

Thanks for the tip Clint, and Bob for your comment!

She's about done, painted the outside box etc today and reattached the tables.
Need to add the new flavor bars, and igniter.
Should be ready for my son to start grilling this weekend.

20150312_153624.jpg

EDIT to add, fired it up again to try and get a pic, and it's not as pronounced as before.
I suspect it will improve with more use, since it had been sitting a long time unused.

original post:
Quick question about flames.
The burner tubes show a few orange tips, come and go type thing.
But the crossover tube on the left side has a more constant, longer orange flame where it meets the back burner (far left back inside corner)
Normal or a problem?
hard to get a good pic in the daylight.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments.
To me it's a rehab, not a total restore.

Last edited:
Honestly unless you find a cracked burner or the crossover tube is cracked/clogged (common) nothing to worry about

Bob if it doesn't get hot enough and you cleaned the burners it might be the regulator. I had two of them go south on me and the grill would only get to about 300*. If it sat for a long time that may be it.

Back