Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when yer Smokey Joe gives up the ghost?

TVWBB Member

Cool What to do when yer Smokey Joe gives up the ghost?

So since the installation of the tamale pot lid on the bottom of the pot so you could stack multiple pots together, I was thinking if my Smokey Joe ever bit the dust from rust...I could use a tamale pot as its replacement. It would be designed to hold an integrated charcoal basket/chimney fer a super long burn time with a huge ash reserve.

The tamale pot(s) would easily stack on top and you could still use yer Weber lid or the unused tamale lid.

You really wouldn't have to worry about the tamale pot matching up/sealing with the charcoal base because this system was meant to be together! It won't rust out like the Smokey Joe charcoal base will. What do y'all think about that?

I guess this would be a mini UDS tamale pot mod then?
    Last edited by Earl P (BamZipPow); 01-02-2015 at 01:10 PM.

The only issue that I have is that all my pot bottoms are cut out! I did melt an aluminum basket once in my UDS. I tried a basket that came with a turkey fryer, must of got super hot!
    14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseT View Post
    The only issue that I have is that all my pot bottoms are cut out! I did melt an aluminum basket once in my UDS. I tried a basket that came with a turkey fryer, must of got super hot!
    Well...I was thinking about buying a new IMUSA pot from Walmart fer $20 and using that instead of an already converted pot. The integrated charcoal basket/chimney would be made out of expanded metal and would be self supporting in the pot.

I guess I have to build one and then post piccies of it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl P (BamZipPow) View Post
    Well...I was thinking about buying a new IMUSA pot from Walmart fer $20 and using that instead of an already converted pot. The integrated charcoal basket/chimney would be made out of expanded metal and would be self supporting in the pot.

I guess I have to build one and then post piccies of it, right?
    Does Walmart have them in stock again? I haven't seen one for sale since I bought my last two a year ago.
    14.5" WSM, (4) Mini-wsms, Mini-Za Oven, Minitisserie, GOSM Big Block, 1967 Casa Q

Holy smokes, both Walmart and Target have them available online right now. Walmart is $21.47 and Target is $29.99

I just got another one from Target via internet a couple of days ago. Came in pancaked. They sent me a replacement two days later.

TVWBB Member

Red face

Does Walmart have them in stock again? I haven't seen one for sale since I bought my last two a year ago.
    Since I'm in Texas...they pretty much carry them all year round. Since December is when most people make/sell/eat tamales...I will see a ton of the tamale steamers git stocked up in my area.

Holy smokes, both Walmart and Target have them available online right now. Walmart is $21.47 and Target is $29.99
    the imusa pot or that vasconia? The imusa has been available its the vasconia that has been out of stock everywhere.
    18 WSM / Blue SS Performer / 22 OTG / 22 MBH Red / Mini WSM
    PartyQ / Maverick 733 / Hotty Toddy

TVWBB Member
    I'm using a Weber 18.5" charcoal grate, 3 self tapping screws to support the grate, and a Dole pineapple chunks (20oz) can as the center support. That gives the bottom 5" x 13.75" to hold ash and upper 8" x 13.75" to hold charcoal.

The volume to hold the charcoal will be approximately 1187.9 cubic inches while ash volume will be just under 742 cubic inches.

Air supply will be via a metal tube/pipe that will terminate inside the pineapple can. The pineapple can will have holes to allow the air to flow through. Vent control might be via a simple flap.

TVWBB Member
    Some quick piccies...

Pot drilled with self-tapping screws.

Pineapple can for center support of charcoal grate.

Charcoal grate over pineapple can.

Had to try to figure out a way to introduce air into the pot...so I found this part in the electrical section of Home Depot. An aluminum 1" conduit body seemed like a good direction to go ($9 fer the conduit body). I'll have to cut a hole in the side of the pot and then secure the body either with a screw on the bottom or from the side of the pot with a threaded pipe/nut. Airflow can be controlled with either a flap or restrictor plug.

Bottom plate removed.

A quick mock up under the grate.

The pineapple can would be tied to the charcoal grate and cut to slip over on top of the body with holes near the top to allow the air to flow into the pot.
    Last edited by Earl P (BamZipPow); 01-13-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast