Dried Jalapenos?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
Do any of you see dried jalapenos with the other dried peppers?

I haven't...... might have to dry them myself.

From JOY: Chipotle (dried smoked jalapenos) come in two different types both made from different cultivars of the jalapeno. First is a black -red chili chipotle (also known as the colorado,mora, or morita) Second is chipotle meco which is larger (3-4 inches long by an inch wide)
I see the first one more than the second, and would also recommend it.

Tim

It's pretty ez to dry & or smoke jalapenos or other peppers.
Cut as slit in the pepper about 1/2" long starting a little from the stem and going towards the point. Then smoke them for 10 hours or so.
You want real low heat for this. I use a Little Chief electric smoker.
After that... you need a food dehydrator. They can be found at Target or Walmart for reasonable.
Put them in the food dehydrator for as long as it takes to dry them - could be several days.
Don't dehydrate them in your home as you will experience coughing, shortness of breath & red eyes - especially if you are drying habaneros.
My favorite jalapeno to smoke/dry is the Biker Billy cultivar sold by Burpee.

My hubster brought home a jar of dried jalapeños from Penzey's. This was a while back but I'll bet they probably still carry them.

I slice my jalapeno's before I dehydrate them. I've had many come out very sweet and candy-like. I grow, smoke and dehydrate the pepper from the garden (for some odd reason, I don't like raw or cooked peppers), but I eat these like candy.

Regarding dried bell peppers & jalapenos: This morning I made a one-serving batch of stone-ground yellow grits (Arrowhead Mills) in the microwave, to which (before cooking) I added to the grits-water-milk mixture 1 teaspoon of Penzey's mixed dried red and green bell peppers. After cooking, I folded in a pinch (10 g) of freshly shredded cheddar cheese (not the packaged shredded stuff) after cooking. I was going to use Penzey's dried jalapenos but couldn't find them in my stash (might have used them up). I was very pleased with the result when topped with a miro-poached egg. Filling enough that it wasn't until 4 pm that I realized that I hadn't eaten lunch!

I left an indentation in the top of the grits for the micro-poached egg. A pretty plate.

I have some brined fresh jalapenos in the fridge and might try those tomorrow:
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5872-keeping-the-freshness-in-fresh-chiles

Last edited:
We usually grow 10 or 12 assorted pepper plants every year. Some are fire roasted, some used in sauces and a lot of them dehydrated late in the season. Chipotle is one of my favorites, so the red ripe Jalapeños are smoked first.

Back