Ranch Dressing & Dip

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I made this last night - I used a little more buttermilk & sour cream, and as usual I didn't use exact measurements on the spices. I used all dried herbs, used more dill & no parsley.

It didn't taste very good at all at first, but after 20 minutes I did a side-by-side comparison with the "fresh" stuff I get from Costco and there is no comparison. I don't use the ranch very often unless I'm out of blue cheese (unless I'm having terriyaki wings, then it's ranch), but this could change that.

I took some pickled jalapenos & set them in a metal strainer in the oven under the Keep Warm setting for about an hour, diced them and added to the mix (Jalapeno Ranch).

I think I might dehydrate some Jalapeno peppers since I can't find any already dehydrated for some reason...... I guess it's for food safety- fresh herbs etc & c. botulism.

This recipe is a keeper just in case you're wondering!

thanks Tim- I didn't even think to check Amazon------ I got a 16oz, quart container of Jalapenos, also a couple others.

This dressing is so good! I was dipping pretzels in it while I was waiting on a bacon/potato/egg burrito to warm up in the oven.

Here's another one I want to try----putting it here for later:

http://www.melissassouthernstylekitchen.com/jalapeno-ranch-dressing/

Jalapeno Ranch Dressing

Print
Author: Melissa Sperka
Serves: About 3 cups
Ingredients

1 large jalapeno pepper, diced (See Cook's note)
1-2 Tbsp roughly chopped pickled jalapeno slices (Adjust to your taste)
2 medium garlic cloves
2 Tbsp roughly chopped sweet onion
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1½ cup real mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup sour cream
⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed
1½ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp lemon pepper

Instructions

In a food processor or stand blender, roughly chop the jalapeno pepper, pickled jalapenos, garlic cloves, chopped onion and lime juice.
Add the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sour cream, cilantro, garlic salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar and lemon pepper. Process until fully combined.
Pour into a mason jar and chill overnight. Shake well before serving,
Use within 7 days of making.

Notes
To adjust the heat, when chopping the raw jalapeno, leave the seeds to add more spice or remove with a spoon for a milder taste.

Clint, Penzey's has DEHYDRATED JALAPENOS. Warning....Penzey's is a bit behind the times. When doing a search, they are still using the old-fashioned spelling ("chili" peppers) instead of the currently used "chile" peppers (to distinguish the pure peppers from the stew). I gently alerted them to this fact several years ago. I guess they are set in their ways.

Last edited:
I'll try theirs next time I order......... I'm getting low on a few of their spice/mixes I noticed the other day

Clint, thanks for sharing Chef John's "ultimate" ranch dressing recipe. I've had good luck with a few of his other recipes, and this came out great! It was good enough that I've made it three times over a fairly short period with only a few of minor tweaks. I used 2 ts of fresh dill from my herb garden instead of dill weed from a container, and after the first time, I cut the mayo down to 1 cup instead of 1 1/3 cup. For some reason, I don't like worcestershire sauce, but fish sauce is a good substitute, so I also made that substitution. I'm getting used to friends asking for this recipe, and that's always a good sign.

Clint, thanks for sharing Chef John's "ultimate" ranch dressing recipe. I've had good luck with a few of his other recipes, and this came out great! It was good enough that I've made it three times over a fairly short period with only a few of minor tweaks. I used 2 ts of fresh dill from my herb garden instead of dill weed from a container, and after the first time, I cut the mayo down to 1 cup instead of 1 1/3 cup. For some reason, I don't like worcestershire sauce, but fish sauce is a good substitute, so I also made that substitution. I'm getting used to friends asking for this recipe, and that's always a good sign.

Glad you like it! I wish I'd have read your post 15 minutes ago - I just made it again :)

I've made it probably 10 times.... a few mods too. I don't know if you've seen the blue cheese recipe, but it's as good as this IMO.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?56593-Blue-Cheese-Dressing-amp-Dip

Made this again this morning (seem to make it once a month or so) - I added way too much sour cream mistaking the amount for mayo - no matter, just added ~1.5 cups of mayo to match the same amount of sour cream (easy to mod this recipe), then I used a full half-pint (8 oz i think) of buttermilk, 3x the onion & garlic powders, tarragon, salt & pepper. I couldn't see my the open container of dehydrated minced jalapeno but I did see a new jar of pickled habanero, so I minced a forkful and mixed it in.

I just enjoyed a pulled pork salad (pork, red leaf lettuce, dried cranberries, crackers, & this dressing).

Back