Fresh Chili

Cam Stone

TVWBB Member
I made some chili last weekend that turned out amazing! I used fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob and fresh chilies/onions instead of the canned variety found in most chilies. The only canned items were the beans - black and kidney and a small can of chipoltle peppers in adobo sauce. I cooked it all in the desert over a wash-tub fire pit!

Here are some of the fresh ingredients - two ears of corn, eight tomatoes and fresh black sage:
IMG_0895.JPG

Then I started up the wash tub fire pit:
IMG_0888.JPG

Next, I roasted up the fresh corn on a griddle and then seared/roasted the fresh tomatoes on the griddle:
IMG_0893%2B%282%29.JPG

Close-up:
IMG_0918.JPG

Throw the seared tomatoes and corn in the chili pot:
IMG_0909.JPG

Time to sear in the juices of the tri-tip chunks:
IMG_0899.JPG

Tri-tip goes into the pot - Mash it up!
IMG_0912.JPG

Now we sear the veggies - Pascillas, red bells, onions and 2-3 jalapenos:
IMG_0927.JPG

Add the beans, a few sage leaves, chopped up chipotle, a little cumin, some chili powder and let the pot bubble for a couple hours. Finished chili:
IMG_0934.JPG

Wash tub at night:
IMG_0980.JPG

Cam

Mighty fine looking chilli Cam & those washtubs put out massive heat we use one all the time

Hi James:

That "massive heat" put an incredible smokey char on all the fresh ingredients the went into the chili. That gave the chili a depth of flavor that I have never tasted before in chili! I have never been a big chili fan but this is something that changes my mind forever!

Cam

Lookin good, Cam! After my father-in-law passed away, he had a wash tub just like that with 3 angle iron legs on it. I gave it to someone as a garage incenerator- at least I think I gave it away... Anyway, he also had a lot of unique cooking items; a wok, commercial spatulas that I like to use on the MoJoe Griddle, a him of cast iron cookware, etc. He was way ahead of me on this stuff and I really never gave him credit. A lot of stuff I thought was silly or useless. Now I'm kicking myself for getting rid of somethings. I guess it's one of those things that you just have to discover for yourself.

Lookin good, Cam! After my father-in-law passed away, he had a wash tub just like that with 3 angle iron legs on it. I gave it to someone as a garage incenerator- at least I think I gave it away... Anyway, he also had a lot of unique cooking items; a wok, commercial spatulas that I like to use on the MoJoe Griddle, a him of cast iron cookware, etc. He was way ahead of me on this stuff and I really never gave him credit. A lot of stuff I thought was silly or useless. Now I'm kicking myself for getting rid of somethings. I guess it's one of those things that you just have to discover for yourself.

Thanks Jeff:

The wash tub worked amazingly well and didn't require very much wood for the long term chili cook! You should get one for your Griddle. I got mine on Craig's List from a guy who gets the tubs and welds on the legs - $60. The legs put the griddle up at a very comfortable cooking height. I took video of this cook and will be posting it in the next few weeks.

I sometimes wonder if my 23 year old son will pick up the cooking torch and run with it using all the outdoor cooking gear stacked in my garage! I think so because he has taken over the cooking duties when he goes to his girlfriend's house for dinner! He also came up with the idea to make the "World's Fourth Largest Pancake" on the griddle -see the YouTube videos!

Cam

Last edited:
Fresh Seared Chili - The Video

I finally got the video for this amazing chili recipe edited and uploaded to YouTube! It's a little long but there are a lot of laughs and it has all the steps and techniques in detail. If you like chili - this is something special!

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/_RpC5Jz7b28

Enjoy!

Cam

Back