Nevada > Las Vegas: Rollin Smoke Barbeque

Matt Marino

Rollin Smoke Barbeque
http://rollinsmokebarbeque.com/

This place is just off the Strip on 3185 S. Highland Dr. A little tricky to find but worth it. Judging from the decor they are from Arkansas and specialize in Southern Style BBQ. Looks like they are cooking on a Southern Pride type trailer smoker but they have a handful of trailer mounted smokers on property from fancy gas assist catering model to some stick burners. I think they compete as well. I had a three meat sampler, Brisket, Pulled Pork and Spare ribs. All were very good and I liked the jalepeno cole slaw a lot. They have Beef Ribs to and a good selection of sides. Prices are very reasonable for Vegas Q. Will definitely go back. Have some friends that give it solid reviews to. Hole in the wall but bright and clean interior.

Rollin Smoke Barbeque
http://rollinsmokebarbeque.com/
3185 Highland Dr
Las Vegas, NV 89109

In May 2016, I passed through Lost Wages on the way to judge the Smokin in Mesquite BBQ Championship in Mesquite, NV. While in town, I had lunch at Rollin Smoke Barbeque. The restaurant is located in an industrial/commercial area just off The Strip...not the best part of town, populated with some in-business and out-of-business strip clubs. I felt perfectly safe going to Rollin Smoke by myself at lunchtime, but after dark I'd feel more comfortable going as part of a group.

Rollin Smoke is all about Southern-style barbecue. The mural on the dining room wall featuring the Arkansas Razorbacks, the Arkansas state flag on display near the cash register, and calling their barbecue sauce "Arkansauce" made it abundantly clear what type of Southern-style barbecue I'd be enjoying during my visit.

The menu is extensive, featuring BBQ sandwiches, burgers, sliders, hot dogs, BBQ plates, salads, wraps, barbecue-stuffed baked potatoes, lots of side dishes and desserts, meat by the pound, to-go party packs ranging from $50 to $225, and an "all you can eat" option for $34.99.

In addition to the usual suspects--brisket (served chopped unless otherwise requested), pork, spareribs, baby back ribs, chicken, and hot links--they've got meatloaf, a po-boy sandwich featuring catfish/shrimp/sliced brisket, beef ribs, smoked chicken wings, burnt ends, and rib tips.

I suppose one should have pork at an Arkansas barbecue joint, but I felt like brisket, so I ordered "Brisket Three Ways" featuring chopped brisket, sliced brisket, and burnt ends, with sides of waffle fries and sweet cornbread. My favorite brisket was the chopped; it was moist, had a good amount of bark mixed in, and had a nice, smoky peppery flavor. The sliced brisket was my second favorite; it was firm but tender, not falling apart, with a nice little smoke ring, and good flavor. My least favorite were the burnt ends...they were sauced, they were tender, but with areas of unrendered fat and not dark enough for my taste. All of this meat was laid on top of two slices of white bread, so it was almost like a giant open-face sandwich.

The waffle fries were hot and tasty. The cornbread was buttery and sweet, with a very light (too light?) cake-like texture, almost like a dessert. Two pickle slices and green onions garnished the meat...the green onions were unnecessary and unwanted.

I liked the house version of Arkansauce. It was fairly thin in consistency, a little sweet, vinegary, with visible bits of black pepper and a little kick of heat.

Those sitting around me seemed to be enjoying their meals...I enjoyed mine. The staff was friendly and helpful. If in Vegas and wanting barbecue, check-out Rollin Smoke. I'd go back again.

Here are some photos...enjoy!

SjgpkFL.jpg

xyTgnIt.jpg

B4ZU7Q8.jpg

YnZhV64.jpg

Xub4aWu.jpg

4a8GBV4.jpg

ldUJk65.jpg

pB3muj4.jpg

mHy0q7j.jpg

LEkpnf7.jpg

Continued...

Back in the day, the original location was our favorite. Once they got hooked up with the tourist business, they streamlined, expanded locations, and lost their roots. We moved on to Jessie Rae's and now Big B's Texas BBQ. There is a Rollin' Smoke store about 1 mile from the house, but I'd rather drive 17 miles to get the real deal and not the tourist treatment.

Last edited:

Back