what to buy

Greg Lousteau

I think I'm ready to buy a stoker, but am looking for some guidance on what to buy. I have a large BGE, what size fan should I buy? I'm thinking about buying multiple probes so I can monitor multiple pieces of meat at the same time. Anything else I should get?

Whats the best way to place the order? I've read about the lack of good communication with Rock, so I want to make this as painless as possible
icon_smile.gif

thanks

I have the standard 4cfm for my large ceramic smoker and it works fine. But I rarely do very high temp cooking on it. For that, some people say a larger blower gets it up to temp better.

The advantage of a smaller blower is that the response is smoother as you don't have lots of air then nothing.

On probes, I like to have three of them because that is the maximum number of pieces I have cooked at once (pork butt). Even if I am cooking less, I might put two probes in a larger piece as to have better understanding of its internal temp, just in case one is not all the way in.

Be sure to order the adapter for your BGE.

On ordering, I did that online.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Lousteau:
I think I'm ready to buy a stoker, but am looking for some guidance on what to buy. I have a large BGE, what size fan should I buy? I'm thinking about buying multiple probes so I can monitor multiple pieces of meat at the same time. Anything else I should get?

Whats the best way to place the order? I've read about the lack of good communication with Rock, so I want to make this as painless as possible
icon_smile.gif

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stick with the standard 5cfm fan. The good thing about getting multiple food probes is that if you get another cooker, you can use them as temp or food probes. I use a 5 cfm on a 55 gallon drum smoker, and it works fine.
Call the shop directly.

I have the 5 CFM for my large ceramic and have no complaints. As Amir said, the larger blower will bring her to temp faster, however, once you're to temp. the larger CFM is overkill on a ceramic . . . in my opinion.

Back