Cold smoked salmon

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
Cold smoked salmon 2014

I was not sure where to post, as this thread could fit in several forums.
I'm trying to show how I cold smoke salmon, using a home made venturi smoker, and a WSM.

First of all, I've had a cold smoker, but it has been quite cumbersome to use, as it needed a tap with a hammer several times an hour to work right.
Cold smokes can go on for days if you wish, so this is the reason to upgrade the cold smoker unit.

As always, I used some stuff I had in my garage, such as an old artillery shell, some copper pipe and bushings, an arrow, and a air pump.

A couple of pictures, not much daylight nowadays where I live, the pics are taken at 3.30 in the afternoon. It's quite dark already.
20141113_DSC_0001.jpg

20141113_DSC_0002.jpg

Last edited:
I was not sure where to post, as this thread could fit in several forums. I'm trying to show how I cold smoke salmon, using a home made venturi smoker, and a WSM. {snip}not much daylight nowadays where I live, the pics are taken at 3.30 in the afternoon. It's quite dark already
Interesting stuff in your garage Geir :)

Wow 3:30 and that dark already. What time is sunrise?

And the salmon is sliced, and stored away. Not a lot of pictures, as the nature of the cook is quite undramatic. No flames, no searing, and so on.

Before smoking. Notice the green lawn, very unusual. Temps are at 41 F Quite mild.

20141114_DSC_1223.jpg

After six hours of oak smoke, cold smoke from the smoke generator.

20141114_DSC_1224.jpg

And sliced. Needs a few days before the bitter taste is gone.

20141114_DSC_1226.jpg

Some of you will probably think this tastes eh, "interesting", because it is raw, fatty salt fish, and that's what it tastes like, but others might enjoy it. I have no idea if this is something you eat in your country.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
And the salmon is sliced, and stored away. Not a lot of pictures, as the nature of the cook is quite undramatic. No flames, no searing, and so on.

20141114_DSC_1223.jpg
I've never understood cold smoke. You and CaseT are the only ones I know doing it. Some nice looking salmon :)

I love smoked salmon, could eat it every day. Yours looks fantastic. I've hot smoked salmon a few times (thanks to help from Wolgast) and really want to try the cold method but I am not too handy. I do have a WSM, any suggestions?

There are several methods that will make it possible to cold smoke in the WSM.

Search the forum for ways to do it, and you will find contraptions like the one I use, over to metal mazes that can be filled with sawdust. According to weather channel you live somewhere with a temperature low enough to cold smoke. Ideally the temperature should be a tad below 41f, but above freezing.

Beware, this does not taste like hot smoked salmon. It is raw fish.
After I posted one of my runs several years ago, another member tried, and he posted that it was one of the most disgusting things he had ever tried to eat. not much of a Sushi- fan, I guess :)

Last edited:
looks good, I use the Cold Smoke Generator for my salmon.
like you said, let it rest for a few days, otherwise it tastes like you have been licking an ashtray

Geir, I have thought many times about the cold smoke approach. BUT, my friends and family have become enamored with the Grav Lax I do that it does not seem worth it to make the effort. The prep is more than easy, no need to smoke, and almost impossible to do it poorly. It takes me 2.5 days in the refrigerator, fresh dill, cracked white pepper, ordinary sugar and salt. I haven't posted here as the dish is not smoked or cooked.....just sliced and served with a simply prepared dill/mustard sauce....not for those who cannot enjoy sushi, but an extraordinary Norwegian gift. My 92 year Norwegian girlfriend agrees it is the best, YAH ! so there...

Effective Cold Smoking on a Weber

Cold smoking on a Weber kettle or smoker at ambient temperature (70F or lower) is very easy and requires no equipment.

I have been using Jacques Pepin's recipe for curing salmon filets, alder/fruit chips and natural charcoal briquettes on a small screen. Three natural briquettes (a few more in cold weather) are lit with an electric charcoal starter or gas flame to about half-gray. These are arranged in a circle on top of a fine screen on the charcoal grid and topped with damp chips. The referigerator cold salmon is placed on the top grill to leeward. The top vents are almost fully closed to allow the smoke to flow over the salmon.

Twenty to thiry minutes is usually enough to smoke salmon filets. The unternal temp of the filets will rise maybe 10F, remaining quite cold. Wrap in polywrap and foil and refrigerate. Use a very sharp blade to slice thin slices off the large ends at an angle.

The same technique for 40 minutes performs magic on fresh, cold roast of beef, pork or veal.

This is really simple and effective.

Geir, being from Alaska I am a bit of a salmon snob. I was wondering is your fish wild or farmed? I am pretty sure Norway has wild salmon runs and wonder if you find a taste difference between the two. Thanks.

Back