Vortex for kettles

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I came across this press release and thought I'd share it. It's being sold by one of our members here, Marty Owens. I'm posting it since he can't. :)

Have not tried it...would be interested in hearing how it works from those who have.

Best,
Chris

--

Owens BBQ is now a distributor of the Vortex (available in 3 different sizes). For use with both briquette's and lump charcoal it provides direct, indirect and infrared cooking styles. This is a great tool for most charcoal users to have in their outdoor cooking arsenal!

To view more information and download the owner's manual go to http://www.owensbbq.com/vortex.html

If it works as advertised I think it could be a handy tool for a 22.5 kettle. Sure hope someone that has one hits this thread with an opinion.

I was interested in getting it at $40 (rounded) but then you have to pay an additional $14 for shipping, there's no other option. 35% for shipping.....? No thanks

If they had advertised it at $49 plus $6, I might have bought it. But to advertise it at $40 + $14 is bait & switch, and I don't buy into bait & switch

If they had advertised it at $49 plus $6, I might have bought it. But to advertise it at $40 + $14 is bait & switch, and I don't buy into bait & switch

I think you are being a bit strong here - the Owens' are top notch folks and accusing them of B&S seems over the top.

Other sellers charge the same shipping charge; I'm guessing it is due to the combined size and weight but don't know for sure.

I agree the shipping is expensive but do not believe it is greed on the sellers part in this case.

My $0.02

-Tom in SoCal

It may well be worth $54 or more, my complaint is the low price going in only to find excessive price going out. It don't cost $14 to ship that, the shipping is out of line of the price. Had they come clean from the beginning and advertised it for $49 + $6, I probably would have bought it. $40 & $14 is a insult

I began using an inverted Stok chimney when I saw the vortex on another site earlier this year, and I must say it does a great job on chicken wings. When that gives up the ghost, I'm ordering one of these stainless ones. $14 sounds about right for a USPS priority box large enough to hold it, imo.

It may well be worth $54 or more, my complaint is the low price going in only to find excessive price going out. It don't cost $14 to ship that, the shipping is out of line of the price. Had they come clean from the beginning and advertised it for $49 + $6, I probably would have bought it. $40 & $14 is a insult

Hi Chuck-

I just checked UPS-- shipping a 7-LB box from Glenburn ND 58740 to my home (zip 93093) via UPS ground is $18.90. I guessed at the weight, and other destination zip codes will be somewhat different. But it doesn't look to me like they are making a lot of profit on that shipping price.

If you don't want to pay the price they are asking, don't pay it. But be careful and when you accuse an honest business of skulduggery. My dealings with the Owens' have been very positive; their products are good, their service has been excellent and I can't say enough good about them.

All you guys complaining abut the shipping price apparently have not shipped much lately. Either that or you got used to the "free shipping" (there is no such thing) and low shipping prices we see on the internet.
These folks are charging a fair price for the item and passing along the cost of shipping. That is not bait and switch.

In my line of work, it is not unusual to pay MORE for shipping than for the actual item. That's just how much it costs.

Hi Chuck-

I just checked UPS-- shipping a 7-LB box from Glenburn ND 58740 to my home (zip 93093) via UPS ground is $18.90. I guessed at the weight, and other destination zip codes will be somewhat different. But it doesn't look to me like they are making a lot of profit on that shipping price.

If you don't want to pay the price they are asking, don't pay it. But be careful and when you accuse an honest business of skulduggery. My dealings with the Owens' have been very positive; their products are good, their service has been excellent and I can't say enough good about them.

Might want to re-check that: (page 68 on the below PDF file)

http://www.ups.com/media/en/daily_rates.pdf

Using 10LBS rates start at $8.54 to a high of $10.53 and to get to $10.53, you have to go several zone to do so

I had to look up "skullduggery" it's not my intention of accusing them of "underhanded or unscrupulous behavior; trickery" my complaint is how something goes from $40 to $54 However, in the spirit...I'll just say they can do better on shipping (based on the UPS chart above, which can be beat if you're a company and sign a agreement with UPS) Where I work I can send a 10LBS package 3 zones for < $5

Back