Heaviest duty homemade smoker I've ever seen

Depends on how thick that steel is. It might be fine. Driving around in the backwoods around here I see some really crazy home made smokers.

400 bucks? I would buy that thing in a heart beat! You can see he used 1/4inch pig steel on it. I'm I sure it made it through Katria with no problems. You put another 3-4hundred bucks(super budget) into media blasting,Paint,new grates and some fabrication. You have a 48inch stick burner with what looks like a 24inch griddle. It has a huge wood box on it. No problem making that thing run at 350. You can crank out a 100-150 person catering job on that thing and serve off the hot plate. Which means your menu and ability to sell food just got more profitable. Two of those jobs and it's paid for. Look at the equivalent. Lets say a Lang 48inch patio hybrid. Those start at $3500. Plus it's just cool.

Last edited:
That would clean up nice, with just a bit of effort. I would give the multi color treatment and it would look very cool.
Bet it would be interesting to cook on. Wonder what he will end up getting for it.

I bet the thing is worth almost $400 in scrap metal alone, and how many posts have we seen on this site about bringing an old CI skillet to like new condition in far worse shape then this! The thing is built like a tank! The WOW factor alone would make this thing worth the money, not to mention all the great food you could turn out with it..
I would love to see someone here get it and take some before and after pics..
Tim

Don't laugh. If the Donner party had had two or three more oxen and could have hauled this over the Sierra Nevadas, they might have made it. At worst, their last meals would have been hot.

It's not too far from me, but I'd have a tough time getting it home. Also, I hate sandblasting and I have no use for something that huge.

400 bucks? I would buy that thing in a heart beat! You can see he used 1/4inch pig steel on it. I'm I sure it made it through Katria with no problems. You put another 3-4hundred bucks(super budget) into media blasting,Paint,new grates and some fabrication. You have a 48inch stick burner with what looks like a 24inch griddle. It has a huge wood box on it. No problem making that thing run at 350. You can crank out a 100-150 person catering job on that thing and serve off the hot plate. Which means your menu and ability to sell food just got more profitable. Two of those jobs and it's paid for. Look at the equivalent. Lets say a Lang 48inch patio hybrid. Those start at $3500. Plus it's just cool.

I bet it's 3/8" steel. Agree...$400 bucks would be a great price.

Look at the equivalent. Lets say a Lang 48inch patio hybrid. Those start at $3500. Plus it's just cool.

This may or may not be worth $400-that depends on you and your applied value to it, but in no way would I ever compare it to a Lang 48. The Lang design hands down kills this thing. The first thing that comes to mind with this homemade cooker is that the cooking grate is only 15" deep. Not a lot of cooking space if you ask me. Also the doors are cut way to high. That lets all the heat out of the cooking chamber when you open them. the Lang doors are cut lower so to trap some of the heat at the top of the cooking chamber. And as for the Reverse Flow of the Lang-well in my opinion that seals the deal. You may disagree with the concept of RF as some do and that's your prerogative but for me I wouldn't want a stick burner any other way. And that is one big *** firebox-maybe too big. You want a firebox that is appropriate in size to the cooking chamber. one that doesn't have to heat more air then necessary to travel the length of the cooker and out thru the stack.

Back