Jalapeno Planks

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
This post is as much about the technique as the recipe, though I have experimented with ingredients for years before coming up with what I like most. Like most stuffed jalapeno recipes it's pretty simple, but trying the method out a few times will get you to just the result you like.

JalapenoPlanks_zpsce95bb3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The technique: nothing magic, but there are a copy of things that do make these pretty special. One is that I try to get a top finish that is similar to queso frito (Mexican fried cheese). There are many recipes for queso frito, but one simple one is to simply pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of shredded cheese onto a non-stick pan and fry until is bubbles and the liquid melts off (without burning). It leaves a tasty, crunchy patty -- that's something like what you're after here. The other point is slow, indirect heating of the jalapenos with cheese mixture -- again, you're waiting for the liquid to cook off without burning the jalapeno. The temp is 350-400* -- pretty much the same as indirect grilling of chicken wings, so I often do them together.

The recipe: to each his own, but I like nice-sized jalapenos (not the over-size pithy ones), thin-sliced Virginia baked ham, a 30/70 mix of cream cheese/cheddar cheese (add a little of any other cheese you like for some variation -- blue, feta, mozarella, whatever) and some of my own cajun spice mix (you can use whatever cajun spice you like -- just look out for the salt in commercial versions). How much of the filling content depends on how many jalapenos you have. For a single snack serving of three jalapenos split, I use enough cheese mixture to fill the jalapeno halves even with the top (otherwise it will just overflow with the heat) and about a 1/2 teaspoon or more of cajun spice. If you understimate, just fill with more cheddar. If you overestimate, use the leftover in your breakfast eggs or save it until the next batch. For me, the next batch is only days away... :cool:

Remove the stem and cut the jalapeno in half lengthwise. Cut into the curve (if any) so that the two halves are mirror images. Cut the ham (I use 1/16" or so thick slices) in strips to roughly line the inside of the jalapenos. Firmly fill with your cheese mix and you're ready for the grill. Sometimes I spray with EVOO, sometimes I don't.

It will take at least 20 minutes to get the golden-brown "crust" on top of the cheese. It may take twice as long depending on the size jalapenos and amount of filling. Try it two or three times and you get the proportions and cooking time down to what you want. I adopted the term "planks" because these are crusty and could be finger-food if you choose. (You can use a smoker, but that gives a different consistency. I always use wood chunks in my grill, so there is always a little smoke flavor.)

I hope some will try this and let me know what you think.

Rich

Last edited:

Back