Theft deterrent for your Weber gas grill

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Cheap protection for the cost of a cover.

31tTltEH3kL.jpg

Cheap protection for the cost of a cover.

31tTltEH3kL.jpg

Ironically enough, I have that cover and a Brinkmann Pro Series 2700 to boot. Might be heretical, but I like it almost as much as my Webers. Then again, I got it 15 years ago back when Brinkmann actually made some nice grills.

I know this is an old thread but I'm new here. I just got on order a Weber Sprit e310. I have never spent this much for a grill ever so I want to make sure my new Weber don't leave with out me. Mine will be on a pad of patio pavers in my rear yard. house is on a city size lot and backs up to parking area and private alley I share with a few neighbors. No one has ever bothered my other grills or porch stuff, just want some extra insurance. So I got a KingKong cover on the way from Amazon for it that doesn't announce its a Weber. I'm going to get a cable lock and try to pass it thru the back and bottom of the base then around a 4x4 support post for the 2nd floor balcony steps thats near. How does this sound?

LOL: that sounds like a good plan. I just hate it that some people have to deal with stuff like that. Not that it never happens, but stuff doesn't usually walk off where I live. I have left my truck in the driveway unlocked over night probably 1/4 of the nights since I bought it new. I have a travel trailer in the driveway that don't lock all summer long. I have a very nice Grumman canoe that doesn't get locked up despite sitting next to my garage. I quite often leave my garage door open when I am not around.
I know, some day, I will be sorry, but as long as I don't have to carry a key chain with a dozen keys on it and lock and unlock stuff every five minutes, I will continue to live with this false sense of security.

Rural midwest. I grew up with an even lower sense of security, so I can at least say I am making progress.

I have 8 weber gas grills in my back yard right now. Nothing locked.

Oh, and don't bother to ask for my address.

we have had minimal problems here I just want a layer of protection to lessen any chance of someone taking a shine to my new BBQ. I wish I lived more out in the country but maybe in a few years I can move. We had more theft problems in the suburbs where my parents lived than I do now actually

If you think about it, why would a crook go to the inner city to steal stuff. They go where the money is. TO the areas where people move to if they can afford it.

Yah, if I was worried about my nice Weber walking off, I would figure out a way to sleep easier at night too. And, if you don't have to move it very often, then no big deal any way. You don't need to lock it to a half inch steel loop that is anchored into the cement porch or anything. I would think just locking it to one of the 4x4 deck supports or something like that would be enough to make a crook go to the next house on the block.

I agree, just make it a little hard and noisy if they try to take it and they probably would target some other grill instead.

Just remember locks and laws are for basically honest people. The thief will always find a way. Maybe you could electrify it LOL. You'd just want to remember to turn the juice off when you go to use it

Possible theft is just another reason to have an older Weber. I suppose it's happened somewhere but I can't imagine an old genesis 1000 or silver A/B is very attractive to thieves even if it's in pristine condition. Saying that I would be devastated if my old 1000 which was my father's was stolen.

Yah, seems logical, but to me, I think an unused 15 year old Genesis 1000 would be a better grill than a 2018 Genesis II E310. But, they don't look as "sexy" as a brand new one with all the shiny chrome so the average guy won't see it that way.

Well then it seems like I have a plan.. I got a locking cable on order now. I will just use a master lock I already have that matches the sheds where the mower and bikes are. I wont have to move it very much so its not going to be any big deal. Im not really inner city but on the edge of the city, its quiet here mostly.

Definitely get someone may not take an old weber and one in good repair might be nicer than a new one. Compaired to my current cheap grill the spirit is a big upgrade.

The logic of going to the counrty to steal seem logical if you have a way to get there anyhow. Sometimes theft is about opportunity. Town or country there's dirtbags potentially anywhere these days.

Last edited:
If someone gets out back behind my house without my neighbors dog climbing the fence and eating the would be thief I don’t think they would be able to figure out how to move the thing without making enough noise to wake the dead, I suppose they could have it and, I’d just be forced to build a new one! Granted, I’d prefer not to be forced into the rebuild but, if I had to, I could.

Back