Need Heat

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My Mini needs more heat, can't get 300 and I want 325

So I read this scientific thread and decided to mod my mini

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55569-cooking-chicken-on-the-14-5

So I decided to drill four 1/4 inch holes right at the charcoal rack line, I figured that's increasing airflow by an additional 25% (four 1" holes in the bottom and now four 1/4" holes on the side)

F96A898C-068D-47DA-B285-2570F409A0E1_zpszeke9jei.jpg

75B4F2D4-60D2-481E-9314-63E20F71AC37_zpsniwuvmyc.jpg

To test this scientifically, I've selected some serious test material as found in this thread

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?55542-Chicken-and-Fatties!-First-Cook-on-the-New-22-5-WSM!

I'll be using

C8CE6313-0B30-46E9-886A-3CAB87E2872D_zpsal6zxe1g.jpg

Granted, I don't need 300+ for this, but what the heck. And if there are any Royals fans reading.......

AECB311E-9B20-4AD8-AA1E-C0180E20E4F9_zpslbzy26vu.jpg

More to follow in the cooked photo section

This ended up being a very good mod. Maybe you could get by with only drilling three 1/4" holes, or perhaps staying with four and going down in size? I very quickly got to 300 degrees and I started very consertitive. I dumped about 10 hot coals onto my bed, and I left the barrel off the coals for less than 5 minutes.

I was at 300 within 15 minutes, and I closed the bottom vents I would guess 1/16 and I held 300 for more than an hour. Had I not closed the vents, I'm sure I would have hit 325 now mind you, I'm running an 8" clay defuser.

38E03984-40F5-429D-B543-061795A6CA53_zps1lmwcoma.jpg

B19EE43B-10B2-4197-8969-4AB939BF0BFC_zpsr1raooaw.jpg

I'm very happy with this mod, my mini was meant to cook chicken and the chicken sucked because I couldn't get 250 even without the defuser

Chuck, simple mod, and simple IMO is best! Am I to understand that the mini is to be used solely for higher heat cooks? I'm just wondering if you would be able to keep the temps in the *250-*265 range for a little lower/slower cooks. A great way to mod the smoker to fit your needs!
Good luck,
Tim

I'll still be able to cook < 300, I can close the bottom vents. I found that the smallest changes to the bottom vents has dramatic affect on temp. Yesterday when I surpassed 300, I closed the vents maybe a 32nd inch and it quickly went 275

I let the mini continue run long after the fatties came off, it went 3.5 hours at 275 so all said, I had 5 hours of good controlled cooking. That's the first time I've gotten 5+ hours out of my mini, and it's had lots of runs. This was a very successful mod

My mini is rapidly becoming a Frankenstein, but it's a real nice running Frankenstein :)

Early on I found that I couldn't get the temps up where I wanted them just using the bottom vent. Every mod I made improved the performance. Ash guard, charcoal basket, but the main improvement was adding the two valved 3/4" side vents. When doing high temp or using the Mini-ZA I leave everything wide open. For lower temp smokes, down to 180° I close the bottom vent all the way and run the two side vents. to adjust the temp. Another added benefit is that I can use my preferred method of lighting. This involves using my torch inserted into te side vent. Takes less than 5 minutes to be up to cooking temp and TBS! No white smoke. For hotter smokes I'll light from both sides. For cold smoking I can plug in my mailbox mod right to the vent and smoke away!

14650485877_5d9eb4eb4c_k.jpg

Lighting

14154603786_a795ce373f_h.jpg

Cold smoking with the mailbox plugged in:

13536704533_0e5faeffbd_h.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about CaseT. I remember talking to you in a different thread (pizza thread I think) about those 3/4" vents. I never would have thought to use them as a means to fire the thing up. I can see yours never gets used, poor lil' guy :)

Now that's what I'm talking about CaseT. I remember talking to you in a different thread (pizza thread I think) about those 3/4" vents. I never would have thought to use them as a means to fire the thing up. I can see yours never gets used, poor lil' guy :)

Man I've gone through two stainless ash diffusers and three charcoal baskets in 4 years! This fall they've been getting a bit of a break. But normally the mini's are smoking 4-6 days a week! When we go camping they are smoking all day!

I have a lot of fun with my mini. I'm not as creative as Case, he's made some really cool mods. But my mods are certified kalifornian-hillbilly :)

I used my 18' smoker today for sausages and tenderloins, but I think such small items could be smoked on a mini with less hassle.

I must build me one of these ASAP.

Back