Genesis 2000 XL Restoration - I'm stuck

Gary T.

I started taking my 14 year old G2000 apart only to realize I've got more damage then I expected.. I need a new cooking box (or I need to find a machine shop that can drill out screws and re-thread). I also need a left upper frame, front panel, spacer bracket and a manifold assembly... Just way more corrosion then I expected. Anybody have any of these parts, or, if not, I have a bunch of stuff to sell as I had already bought ?? Appreciate any response of help, or any response for my spares??

-Gary T.

Genesis 2000 XL (Durawood decks/shelves; 3-burner)

Hi Gary, what parts have you bought? It sounds like it would be better for you to buy an used Genesis on CL in better condition than yours and restore it.

The parts I have purchased from Weber are Durawood deck and shelves, SS burner tubes(3), igniter, and tank fuel guage. My SS grates and flavor bars are this year's use only. Would any Genesis 3-burner be essentially the same size box and use same parts as mine?

The size of the cook box of your Genesis corresponds to the Genesis pre 2002, those with 13 flavorizer bars. So any Genesis 1000 to 5500 would be a suitable grill for you to restore.

Yea, I saw that one on CL but saw that it appeared to be only a 2-burner. Thanks for taking the time to look.

I have found an old Genesis 3-burner in the same era as mine, but it is natural gas. Would that cooking box replace mine? Will the natural gas manifold work? Mine needs to be replaced because of the corrosion of the two brackets that bolt to the cooking box. Appreciate any advice...
-Gary

OK.

Cooking Box swap. If it is the same model no problems. So if yours has the 13 flavorizer bars and the one you want to buy has 13 flavorizer bars, Yes.

NG gas manifold needs NG gas to run.

LP gas manifold needs LP gas to run.

BUT you could swap your LP 'jetted' valves from your existing to the 'new NG' manifold, turning it into a LP manifold; if that is what you want.

You could, as I understand it, just swap the 'jets' as well. Whatever you find comfortable.

Stephen

Stephen,
Thanks for that info. I'm going to look at the NG grill tomorrow. I had thought that the 13 flavorizor bars would be the thing to find out on the box. Sounds like I can make the NG to LP swap ok. I also need to replace the left upper frame on mine, and it looks like, from the pictures that would work too..
- Gary

On the NG to LP it is best to switch the entire valve as the valves are slightly different internally. Just swapping the orifice will "work" but low/medium would run a little hotter than usual. It is easy as the valves simply unscrew from the manifold. Not a bad idea to put a tiny dab of plumbers gas pipe dope on the threads BTW.

On the NG to LP it is best to switch the entire valve as the valves are slightly different internally. Just swapping the orifice will "work" but low/medium would run a little hotter than usual. It is easy as the valves simply unscrew from the manifold. Not a bad idea to put a tiny dab of plumbers gas pipe dope on the threads BTW.

Good to know, Thank You!

Back