Throwdown #23: Baby Back Ribs

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to HVanorden for winning Throwdown #22: Tailgate Party with his entry for Chili Cheese Bratwursts! As the winner, Hank has the privilege of picking the next throwdown ingredient:

Baby Back Ribs!

Baby back ribs are also known as pork loin back ribs and may be smoked and/or grilled. Spareribs and country-style ribs are not valid entries for this throwdown.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, October 26 at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

Good luck everybody!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

Would really like to try this one but haven't seen any BBs in this town in over two years, just spares and SLs.

Then we'll have to box up some baby backs and ship'em to ya !

dont that area of the States have butcher shops??

Nearest butcher shop is a 200+ mi rt to Phoenix. I just bought a new freezer so I now have the space, I may check it out the next time I go down there. What's weird is we have all the major supermarkets and big box stores. Costco, Sam's Club, three Walmarts, Albertsons, Fry's (Kroger), Safeway, etc. But no one carry's BBs except the pre seasoned ones. Been looking here for over two years.
When we go to California to see the kids all those same stores have BBs.

Hi All,

Ok BabyBack Ribs …. here we go!

I rubed the ribs the day before and stored them over night wrapped with foil in the fridge.
The rub itself is a MagicDust (self-made) and on top a thin layer brown sugar.

The method was a 3-1.5-1
The second step is wrapped in foil with some apple juice (self-made).
At the beginning of the third step I covered the ribs with a self made BBQ sauce and a second layer 30 minutes later.

The smoke wood were some apple chunks placed in the Minion ring.

In addition I made some self made wedges and salad (last one from the garden).

Here are my ten pics:

BabyBackRibs_01.jpg

BabyBackRibs_02.jpg

BabyBackRibs_03.jpg

BabyBackRibs_04.jpg

BabyBackRibs_05.jpg

BabyBackRibs_06.jpg

BabyBackRibs_07.jpg

BabyBackRibs_08.jpg

BabyBackRibs_09.jpg

BabyBackRibs_10.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Twice-Cooked Asian Ribs

I was trying to do something like the asian bar ribs you find at several restaurants. We had some friends over for Dinner so I wanted to do cross between chicken wings and Ribs.
My thought was to smoke some ribs partially done, cut them, and finish on the kettle to get a crusty spicy bark. Since it's baby back month here we go.

Cosco baby back ribs, slathered with mustard and rubbed with salt, pepper, paprika and a little five-spice
Smoke over pecan chunks and regular K for 2 hrs.
Foil for 2 hrs with apple juice and cider vinegar in the foil
Setup Weber kettle for direct grilling using Royal Oak lump, leaving a safe zone about 1/3rd the area (I didn't get a picture of this :( )
Pull the ribs off the smoker, cool slightly and remove from foil.
Cut the ribs into individual ribs.
Dust the ribs liberally with kosher salt and more 5 spice, turning the ribs to get rub on all sides of individual ribs.
Grill over direct heat to finish cooking, turning frequently to prevent burning of the spice rub.

These came out tastier than I thought and paired up nice with the other Asian parts of the meal. Enjoy!

Simple Rub for initial smoke
bb%20throwdown%201.jpg

I didn't get picture of grilling on the weber so I'll skip the smoker pictures.

Here are the Ribs with nice bark and crispy five-spice taste and succulent juicy pork underneath
bb%20throwdown%203.jpg

Served with Coconut Chili Shrimp, Asian Slaw with Wonton Crisps and of course rice.
bb%20throwdown%204.jpg

And finally plated: Wish you could smell it...
bb%20throwdown%205.jpg

So there's my throwdown with an Asian twist. (P.S. My wife came up with the sides and made them)

I love BB ribs, but I kinda thought HVanorden would of picked something more exotic like...I don't know...maybe cow tongue or something.

Great one-two punch right out of the gate! Nice work gentlemen & Mrs. Chris.
Jan: I like your 'fridge: ribs and beer :cool:

Zipf Baby Back

Here is my first attempt at one of these throw downs. Let me know what you all think.

Here are the bb ribs with a modified Memphis style rub applied, after sitting in the fridge over night
downloadpicture

Bb ribs are getting up to room temp while the WSM is getting up to 250F

downloadpicture

downloadpicture

The Bb ribs go on the WSM and the Magic begins!
downloadpicture

Off the WSM with sauce applied.
downloadpicture

Anyone Hungry?
downloadpicture

Back