Painting top frame, high heat or regular paint?

Alejandro DK

TVWBB Fan
I am about to begin with my second restoration project, I need to paint the areas where the cook box rests, should I use high heat paint or regular paint? I have read different restoration threads and it seems you guys use regular paint all over the cart. The cook box gets pretty hot, doesn't the regular paint flake with time?

Alejandro, for what it's worth, since I couldn't get my cookbox off, due to fear of breaking the bolts, I painted everything with high heat Rustoleum high heat paint..I used both the matte and the semi gloss. The cookbox was a couple coats of matte, and the cart was all semi gloss... but you know the restore game, the redhead you restored and sold, was nothing shy of stunningly beautiful! Can't wait to see this one.

Thank you very much Mary, well I was lucky with the redhead, the frame did not have any rust. With my current project I had to use the grinder to cut off the bolt that secures the cook box, the nut was fused to the bolt. Since this one is a keeper I'm going to follow your advise and use the high heat paint.

Alejandro,

Really doesn't matter what paint you use. That area does get warm, but not enough to harm regular temp paint. At least not that I have ever seen. Using high temp paint is a bit overkill, but it won't harm anything.

Alejandro, Dave is probably right..High heat paint semi is probably a bit of a over kill for the cart, but the HH paint was only a bit more spendy than the regular paint. I paid $3 something a can for the HH, and Oregon has no sales tax, so price was not a factor to me.
Also, I have decided before my next restore, I am going to order and have on hand all the different bolt sizes and nuts for the project at hand, so no fear of breaking and drilling out bolts...As with everything in life, I learned alot from my first restore, and I'm thinking the next one will go alot smoother. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect!

Alejandro, Dave is probably right..High heat paint semi is probably a bit of a over kill for the cart, but the HH paint was only a bit more spendy than the regular paint. I paid $3 something a can for the HH, and Oregon has no sales tax, so price was not a factor to me.
Also, I have decided before my next restore, I am going to order and have on hand all the different bolt sizes and nuts for the project at hand, so no fear of breaking and drilling out bolts...As with everything in life, I learned alot from my first restore, and I'm thinking the next one will go alot smoother. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect!

Mary, check with the Weber Rep to see if there is a "complete hardware" pack for whatever grill you will be working on. I was about to order some random screws, nuts, and cotter pins for my Summit what the Rep I always deal with said "Ya know, there's a pack that contains every screw, pin, etc and it's not expensive." Total cost was under $10.00. Granted, they aren't stainless, but you don't have to worry about trying to find what fits.

Hey thanks Dave for the great idea! I will certainly contact Weber and ask about the nuts and bolt pkg!
I'm still on the hunt for either a LP manifold or a trashed genesis C for parts. I'm in no big hurry to start that other gas grill project, as I have the SS Performer's parts already ordered, so I'll start work on that when parts arrive. Did I tell you, to replace that badly rusted side bar piece under the control panel on the SS, I had to buy a whole top rail of the cart? But, if I want it done right...one must pay the price of $57. and I did.. Seems Weber is taking their sweet time with shipping.
I guess I'm spoiled by Amazon.. Been a prime member for years, and love that free 2 day ship!

Hey thanks Dave for the great idea! I will certainly contact Weber and ask about the nuts and bolt pkg!
I'm still on the hunt for either a LP manifold or a trashed genesis C for parts. I'm in no big hurry to start that other gas grill project, as I have the SS Performer's parts already ordered, so I'll start work on that when parts arrive. Did I tell you, to replace that badly rusted side bar piece under the control panel on the SS, I had to buy a whole top rail of the cart? But, if I want it done right...one must pay the price of $57. and I did.. Seems Weber is taking their sweet time with shipping.
I guess I'm spoiled by Amazon.. Been a prime member for years, and love that free 2 day ship!

WOw, $57 ? Did you dicker with the CSR and ask if they could give you a lower price ?

WOw, $57 ? Did you dicker with the CSR and ask if they could give you a lower price ?

Well, no Dave, no I didn't. You never told me that it was possible to talk a CS reps down on prices, but then again,
I always seem to get a woman answering my calls when ordering parts, and I have no experience sweet talking women. At my age, I don't think I wanna go there.. :)

Well, no Dave, no I didn't. You never told me that it was possible to talk a CS reps down on prices, but then again,
I always seem to get a woman answering my calls when ordering parts, and I have no experience sweet talking women. At my age, I don't think I wanna go there.. :)

Check your PM's :)

For what its worth I painted my 1000s frame with regular paint and of course the fire box with high temp more then 5 years ago and both still look like the day I painted them.

For what its worth I painted my 1000s frame with regular paint and of course the fire box with high temp more then 5 years ago and both still look like the day I painted them.

This... I haven't seen any issues with regular (I use gloss) paint on the entire frame.

Hi Everyone,
The high educated sand/grit blaster partly blasted the outer side of the endcup by accident... So I think I have the whole endcup sand blasted and repaint. BTW, what is the material of the endcups? Does anyone know?

Good job, well done...
IMG-20141017-00513.jpg

What about the cooking box? Is it worth cleaning totally?
IMG-20140922-00444.jpg

And if someone knew the material of the warming rack and basket that would be a big help. I also have them cleaned but need tips for surface treatment...

Thanks everything!

The end caps are aluminum. The warming racks are just chrome plated steel (reason they always turn to crap).

The end caps are aluminum. The warming racks are just chrome plated steel (reason they always turn to crap).
Thx. What if I leave them sand blusted w/o repainted? I mean the outside. Do they get dirty easier than if they would be painted?

Back