Results: 14.5" WSM Satisfaction Survey

Chris I was surprised there were two folks that gave the 14.5 a 1 or 2 star rating. Would be curious what it was that they disliked about it enough to give such a low rating.

I went back and looked at the raw data and the comments (not shown in the summary results).

For the Slightly Satisfied individual, the comment was, "Cooker is only good for about a four hour cook. Ribs come out fine, for everything else the charcoal and water is gone too soon." Under "Would you recommend..." they say, "Only if they plan to use it occasionally for small amounts".

For the "Not At All Satsified" individual, they gave neutral ratings for fit of lid/middle/bowl and access door; negative ratings for thermometer and value for money paid. Under "Would you recommend..." they say, "Make a Mini WSM, works as well if not better, save money".

Very interesting survey. It would have been interesting to see how many people already had a WSM and how that might have skewed the results a little.

With being familiar with the bigger units there would be much less of a learning curve thus less frustration learning how the 14 works. Although that may or may not affect the ratings of the quality issues.

To me the person who stated it was only good for four hours was surely frustrated, but certainly doing something wrong and not realizing it. Once he figures it out I'm sure his opinion of the 14 will go up dramatically.

Count me as very satisfied. I have no problem with long cooks. I do want the 22.5 one for whole briskets and possible large parties. Perfect for 1-4 people.

-used mine for the first time at the weekend absolute magic, beer can chichen sorry no pics too hungry,just the right size for me and the old lady plus a couple of grand kids ,cant wait till next weekend to try another go regards to all sandy

I've cooked on my 14" two to three times a week since I got it. I'm out of work at 1:30, at the butcher/grocer by 2, and have food cooking by 3 or 4. Not every cooker needs to go for 12 hours. I have an 18 and a 22 for that.
I love cooking on this thing.

Chris;
I have sure been MORE than happy with both my 14.5" and my 18.5". I regularly use them both (generally one at a time:rolleyes:). I also built a mini-gold and liked that one too (I gifted my youngest son with that).

Weber makes GOOD stuff, for sure!!

Dale53

Hi all. Im wanting to get a wsm and can't decide if I should get the 14.5 or the regular one normally I cook for about 2 to 6 people and will cook a chunk of meat or some ribs. I would never really cook more than 2 pieces of meat at a time . Also does the 14.5 burn for as long would it last 12 hours or more without topping up the charcoal. Thank any help would be great

+1 vote for 18 WSM. These are tried and true. They aren't that big and if you ever want the extra space you have it.

I don't have anything against the 14 WSM. I just typically need/enjoy the extra space.

Aaron, I don't think the 14 will run for 12 hours unless you live in a hot climate where very little fuel is needed. That being said, the unit is so small that all you have to do is pick the center unit up and set it aside. Remove the ash and refill and you're good to go. I've cooked brisket and butts before on it and I think adding more fuel builds up too much ash, unless you are using a fuel source that has very little ash. Once the ash builds up, it can make running the pit at the proper temperature, difficult. The 14 is my favorite but I don't like to use it with ribs because of the size restriction. I also happen to think it cooks pork butts better than the 18 and 22 for reasons I won't disclose here!

Thanks donna, I live near Sydney in Australia so the temperature is always pretty good , what size butt and brisket would you cook normally on the 14 and how long would you cook them for

I love my 14.5 using it about 10-1 over the 22.5. It is just the wife and one kid left at home. routinely do 4 racks of ribs on it, or 2 7 pound roasters or 2 large pork butts.

P5240009_zpsda987d38.jpg

P1190113_zpse74d0b8e.jpg

P5020204_zps9ba348b5.jpg

PART_1416696019186_IMG_20141122_171153633_zps46562256.jpg

P8030091_zps438a430c.jpg

the 14.5 is under the snow there you can see it peeking out beyond the Silver B

PART_1424546866573_IMG_20150221_141001104_zps5bff42c1.jpg

I love my 14.5 using it about 10-1 over the 22.5. It is just the wife and one kid left at home. routinely do 4 racks of ribs on it, or 2 7 pound roasters or 2 large pork butts.

P5240009_zpsda987d38.jpg

P1190113_zpse74d0b8e.jpg

P5020204_zps9ba348b5.jpg

PART_1416696019186_IMG_20141122_171153633_zps46562256.jpg

P8030091_zps438a430c.jpg

the 14.5 is under the snow there you can see it peeking out beyond the Silver B

PART_1424546866573_IMG_20150221_141001104_zps5bff42c1.jpg

Jeff - I just got the 14.5 for Christmas from the kids, I have been using the 18.5 for years..Curious if you can share the rib racks you use and where to get them for the 14.5? Thanks - and PS - that is some serious snow!!

Jeff - I just got the 14.5 for Christmas from the kids, I have been using the 18.5 for years..Curious if you can share the rib racks you use and where to get them for the 14.5? Thanks - and PS - that is some serious snow!!

I got them at Home Depot they fit like a glove! I think they are Brinkman

Aaron, I don't think the 14 will run for 12 hours unless you live in a hot climate where very little fuel is needed. That being said, the unit is so small that all you have to do is pick the center unit up and set it aside. Remove the ash and refill and you're good to go. I've cooked brisket and butts before on it and I think adding more fuel builds up too much ash, unless you are using a fuel source that has very little ash. Once the ash builds up, it can make running the pit at the proper temperature, difficult. The 14 is my favorite but I don't like to use it with ribs because of the size restriction. I also happen to think it cooks pork butts better than the 18 and 22 for reasons I won't disclose here!

Bumping an old thread here, but Donna, I wish you would PM me, or something, and show me what you are doing to get your 14.5" smoker to preform so well. So far, in my limited experiences, I find the 18.5" smoker to out preform the 14.5" model for pork butts. All other meats have fared well, however, and the little smoker is fuel efficient too.

Bumping an old thread here, but Donna, I wish you would PM me, or something, and show me what you are doing to get your 14.5" smoker to preform so well. So far, in my limited experiences, I find the 18.5" smoker to out preform the 14.5" model for pork butts. All other meats have fared well, however, and the little smoker is fuel efficient too.

Yes, the longest I have been able to get the 14.5 to run at cook temps, 225-250 is about 7 hours after that it cools down, that is without a reload

Yes, the longest I have been able to get the 14.5 to run at cook temps, 225-250 is about 7 hours after that it cools down, that is without a reload

I've had a similar issue using regular Kingsford, however, Royal Oak briquettes went at least 12 hours in the 14.5" model. The heat ran a bit higher than I wanted though.

Back