The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Results: 14.5" WSM Satisfaction Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    I went back to my handwritten notes from that meeting and found your name there. I remember there was some sensitivity on the part of Weber about the article I wrote, in fact they insisted on reviewing it before publication, so I think I kept the names pretty high level and didn't mention everyone I met that day.

If I remember correctly, the lack of notes after your/Tony's name indicates that you guys were asking all the questions, not me!

I was only kidding about being mentioned. But that's pretty hilarious with the notes and everything. I likely "knew" everything from lurking here and Tony liked to talk about himself a lot, lol. I was concerned about starting my hair on fire or thinking about beer.

Gary is the packaging guy who is an A-1, top notch gentleman. If you own a riveted wooden handle kettle from the early 70s, Gary likely installed it. He's very green-conscious regarding recycling and packaging (and in general). Cool dude.
    *Cooking Things: Gas GA, Q100, 14" WSM prototype, 18" WSM prototype, 22" red gumball, 22 blue gumball, smoky joe, SS Genesis... I think I forgot one or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Durso View Post
    Gary is the packaging guy who is an A-1, top notch gentleman. If you own a riveted wooden handle kettle from the early 70s, Gary likely installed it. He's very green-conscious regarding recycling and packaging (and in general). Cool dude.
    I was impressed with Gary. Before our meeting, he read the stuff I had written about the new packaging and he was psyched that I was interested in the subject. He was very enthusiastic when talking about it!

Also.. I found this old picture of me hard at work at Weber with an early form of the 22 WSM printed out on my desk. Looks like there was a one touch on the bottom –alas, it can’t hold all the ash of a long smoke.

Photo by my friend Bill who worked in the test lab. There was another one of me with the heat camera, I need to locate that.

Note that the photo date is Jan 2007, but the 22 was released in Fall of 2008. just goes to show how long the 22 WSM had been kicking around. If you look to the lower left of the photo, there is a 22 "bomber" as I’ve always called it standing there -as the 18 had been known as the bullet. I called the 14 “the bb” so there’s the sizing nicknames…

*Cooking Things: Gas GA, Q100, 14" WSM prototype, 18" WSM prototype, 22" red gumball, 22 blue gumball, smoky joe, SS Genesis... I think I forgot one or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Durso View Post
    Also.. I found this old picture of me hard at work at Weber with an early form of the 22 WSM printed out on my desk. Looks like there was a one touch on the bottom –alas, it can’t hold all the ash of a long smoke.

So Weber entertained the idea of an ash sweeper for the WSM?

I've often wondered if one would be a good idea for long smokes, but then again, an ash sweeper could possibly introduce more air flow and elevated heat levels even if it was closed.

On the other hand, early ash buildup could seal any tiny air gaps in the bottom of the bowl, and moving the sweeper blades to the open position would be ideal for hot & fast cooks. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

I have a bowl with stubby legs for an 18 that I now use as a fire pit. The amount of ash from an average overnightcook will fill the ash catcher a couple times. Add the fact that you'd have to wiggle that thing out when the grill was hot, operate the sweepers and stir up ash, etc.. It was a mess and certainly not worth it. Plus you'd need vertical clearance to lower the catcher off the bowl, that would raise the overall height. And, you know.. cost, cost, cost....

They never liked the idea of people taking it apart with it hot (as some do to add charcoal, wood, water, stir, empty ash -so things like probe grommets, handles on the midsection, etc were all unacceptable.

Honestly I love my 18.5 but if I knew how great of a deal a 14.5 was at $150 I’d go back in time and buy it when I saw and debated it a few years ago

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456