2001 Genesis C Rehab is finished!

Mary Teal

TVWBB Super Fan
I finished the rehab on the 2001 Genesis C I rescued off a trailer load headed to the scrape yard a couple weeks ago.
A huge Thank You to everyone that answered my questions along the way! I finished the restore last Wednesday afternoon, all except the new handle, which I'm still waiting on. I used all Weber oem new parts, and though kinda spendy, I have no regrets what so ever, I have a brand new Weber Grill, something I always wanted, and now even more special, because not only did I rescue this beauty from the claws of the scrape metal yard, I resuscitated breath back into it, and she is sure to live another 20 years!
I only hope my first attempt at posting a picture, will work..I've been trying to figure it out for days!
So here goes, meet O'l Blue Belle. (fingers crossed, picture shows up)

WOW! I posted pics! Cool! Who says you can never teach an old dog new tricks??
As you can see, I discovered a thumb size dent on top of the hood as I was cleaning off years off Crap on it..I was so bummed, and considered switching lids to one of the 2 green lids I rescued from same load.. but I liked the blue so much, I decided to use it, and try to ignore the small dent...and if at a time I become so anal that the dent keeps me awake at night, I'll switch it out for a green.

Great job Mary that grill looks like new! The payback for that hard work will be many years of great grilling from your resurrected O'l Blue Belle.

Thanks, Rich! I totally enjoyed doing the restore. The only really hard part was cleaning that cookbox!
I cleaned it with a wire brush, simple green and a garden !

I can't seem to get the other pictures to upload to photo bucket from my phone... of course, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, as I've never used photo bucket before.

Thanks Tim! I love it!
I didn't take off the cookbox or the bottom side of the swing out table, because I was afraid I would break the bolts.. so I just left them intact, and worked around them.

Sorry for all the different post in pictures..it's my first time posting pics..I know now just to post img into one box.

Hi Mary,
This looks wonderful and you had a lot of work with it. It was worth it. I wish I would be able to do similarly!

Thank you, Peter! It was hard work cleaning that cookbox, as you well know, but worth it in the end. I'm still waiting on the handle I ordered and according to FedEx tracking, it was suppose to be delivered on the 18th, as of yet, nada.
How is your restore coming along?

Last edited:
Great restore. If everything with a little dent or scratch on it got scrapped my wife would have chucked me out years ago.

Thanks Bob! I agree with the dent..least so far, anyway.. the lid cleaned up so well, I didn't even notice the dent till it was cleaned up..and I just didn't have the heart to chuck it once discovered, I'm doing my best to ignore it..and so far, so good.. Dents are apart of life, she's old.. I'm old, and I have more dents then she has! Us dented old broads, will get along fine together!

Wow! That blue color is beautiful, it really stands out. I have not seen any blue ones for sale here in Ohio, excellent job Mary!

Alejandro, thank you for the kind words. It's weird, I have not seen a Red Head here in Oregon, but you guys in the Midwest and east coast seem to find them all the time! Blue, Green and Black are the three colors that are common finds here.

Thanks Nate! This was my first ever restore. I've got another Genesis C to do, if I can get it converted to propane, and then I bought a 2000 SS Performer on CL last week that needs some TLC big time, and I ordered the parts from Weber this afternoon to make that happen once my arm quits aching from all the wire brush action on this cookbox!

Awesome job on the restore Mary !!!!! Really love the blue hood. I'm in the same boat as Alejandro in that Blue's rarely show up around here. It's usually black, black or black.

Dave, Thank you, but I couldn't have done it without your advice, and others input! Thank you so much! I finally have a Weber gas grill, something I've wanted for a long time! I still can't believe I pulled that old girl off a trailer load headed off to the scrape yard! it was so sad looking! But look at her now! I'm so pleased with the outcome. The day I finished it, I found a 2000 SS Performer off CL for $50 bucks! I ordered the parts from Weber to do a full restore on it too.. once my right forearm quits aching from cleaning that cookbox! :) I now have that angle grinder you advised me to buy, so I'm properly equipped for the next big project .
Thank you again, for all your help! And if you and Alejandro want me to keep my eyes peeled for a blue lid for you guys, let me know, as they are common here..and I don't mind shipping..

Mary

Dave, Thank you, but I couldn't have done it without your advice, and others input! Thank you so much! I finally have a Weber gas grill, something I've wanted for a long time! I still can't believe I pulled that old girl off a trailer load headed off to the scrape yard! it was so sad looking! But look at her now! I'm so pleased with the outcome. The day I finished it, I found a 2000 SS Performer off CL for $50 bucks! I ordered the parts from Weber to do a full restore on it too.. once my right forearm quits aching from cleaning that cookbox! :) I now have that angle grinder you advised me to buy, so I'm properly equipped for the next big project .
Thank you again, for all your help! And if you and Alejandro want me to keep my eyes peeled for a blue lid for you guys, let me know, as they are common here..and I don't mind shipping..

Mary

Hahhaha, totally bitten by the bug. I saw the thread about the Performer. Congrats on it. I finally ventured over to the charcoal side as well and picked up a slightly newer model Performer from CL a few months ago. Man, I love that thing. Now I'm looking for a Stainless one like you picked up because they look pretty sweet. Thanks for the offer on the Blue. Yeah, if one pops up, I'd love to have it.

Back