Renewing frame paint

Erik H.

TVWBB Fan
I'm in the process of restoring my 2000 Genesis Silver B. It's actually in pretty good shape, mainly just working on the appearance and replacing some of the consumables to ensure another 14 years of use.

I have a question about the frame paint. Other than a little bit of surface rust where the ends of the frame tubes meet, the paint is solid with really no bubbling. It is pretty dull, though, and oxidized. My thought was to clean up the surface rust with steel wool and touch it up, but definitely not repaint the whole frame. What do people recommend to reduce the flat, oxidized look of the paint and further protect it? Or should I just put up with it and be happy I don't have to repaint it?

Erik

I would scuff down the frame and repaint it.
If you just want to spruce up the finish that's on there, use an automotive polishing compound and maybe follow it up with some automotive wax.

I would scuff down the frame and repaint it.
If you just want to spruce up the finish that's on there, use an automotive polishing compound and maybe follow it up with some automotive wax.

How much scuffing would you do? I mean, do you hit it 80 grit paper and get it pretty rough? Also, what kind of paint would you use on the frame?

Erick, I just lightly sand it with 220 grit sandpaper. You just want to give the new paint something to adhere to. If you use paper that is too rough you will see the deeper scratches through the new paint. I use rust oleum gloss black, about 4 bucks a can at HD, about 2 cans.

Last edited:

Back