One year Later 2nd Competition

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
Did the same competition as I did last year, I got 6th in chicken and 13 in Ribs... This year I swapped, Got 7th in Ribs ;) and 16th in Chicken..

My comments. Ribs I thought were MUCH improved from last year. Grate Temp helped with maintaining a better more consistent temp.. Warmer day, ribs cooked a little quicker, left in foil on table 30 minutes, sauced and replaced back on grate 25 mins and cut and served.. The chicken I presented looked great, I tried a piece that was a reject and it was rubbery skin (foiled) I think that moisture sogged the chicken skin, because a buddy had one and he said that the skin was good... I tore apart.. The sauce was off the hook... All loved the sauce... I had ABT's, Wingz, and my FAMOUS (now) Beans with Rib Tips in them and smoked under the Ribs as they cooked.. 4 judges were walking by and 3 said that if I ever do an open comp, Serve them beans... We chatted before judging and after, they were great.. Got some good info on what judges like and don't like and the process of judging. I learned more from this comp and feel like I can cook with the big boys and their toys. Just need more practice and experience under my belt. One judge said that they like the sauce on the sides as pictured. They say it helps not dry out the bone.. Don't know if it helped or hurt, but I improved, so until a judge says NO, I will do that.. They did not want garnish.

I had my mini WSM and it was AWESOME.... Cooked with that ALL day and I made ONE mistake... I forgot to clean the foil out and replace it, well I guess lotta things dripped down and had a little fire in the mini, NO FOOD was in there, so that was the positive. I did melt the paint off the Raiders logo side. Ironic? I might just have a cleaning day with all the grills, OUTSIDE only.

The left one was the turn in rack, and as I cut the middle bone and tried, chew marks and was perfect... Not as meaty as I am used to, but good smoke, good flavor and the sauce was the boss on this cook... Cut up the rest of the racks and the last rack I cut up for sale was THE best of the all. My buddies and l each tried one bone and I almost wanted to run in the judges room and swap. Those where the best ribs I ever cooked... More pics as soon as Photobucket is able

Thanks for the look.

Last edited:
Congrats on the call in ribs! Chicken is always the hardest to nail and most painful prep process. I say you are ready for the "big boys" I did a comp last week with 62 teams. 12 of them were multi grand champions. Two dudes rolled up next to us with three kettles and a clapped out WSM. They were working out of a mid 80's Suburban. We let them use are prep tables/sinks and learned it was there very first comp. Super cool dudes. They got called in Brisket and chicken. They 4th overall. It almost ****ed me off.

Back