My 22 yr old Redhead is a hottie

Doug Selman

TVWBB Super Fan
Well this started out to be just another deep cleaning! As I was cleaning I kept taking things off, and as they say "one thing lead to another", next thing I knew she was all apart down to the frame lol. So then came sanding, masking, and painting of the fire box, lid ends and frame. I had done the box and ends about 3-4 yrs ago so they weren't to bad, I always keep it covered.

I had just replaced the burner tubes this last spring and I put a new igniter in that I got then but didn't put in until now.

Then came the work shelves. A little backstory on them. I had replaced the original wood slat shelves with the Durawood ones from Weber at the time of the last painting, and gave my wood ones to my neighbor to replace his that were in bad shape because he didn't use a cover. So I asked him if he would trade the wood ones back so I could refinish them for mine, which he did. So more sanding, lots more sanding!

After sanding w/ 80, 120, 220 grit papers, stained w/ Minwax "Gunstock", and 3 coats of spar urethane, ready to go back together!

Finally finished and put back together. I bought this Genesis 2000 new, now she's ready for another 20 yrs. of great meals!

Thanks for lookin

Chris, I used Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra 1200* semi-gloss, got it at HD. A lot of places only have the flat.

Could you elaborate a little about how you prepped the surface, and what primer you used, if any?

Reprinting my grill is on the radar for later this fall...

-TOm in SoCal

Could you elaborate a little about how you prepped the surface, and what primer you used, if any?

Hi Tom,
I had repainted the ends about 3-4 yrs. ago so they weren't in very bad shape, just a couple of little corrosion spots. I didn't use any primer. All I did was scuff up the surface good with a rubber sanding block w/ 400 grit paper. Could have used 320 or so to smooth out the spots better but they painted over fine. The I wiped it down w/ Lacquer thinner before spraying.

Good luck with yours, remember to take pictures along the way and post em

Back